[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Mint Palys taking over again. How can I kill 'em without killing other corals?

Bookmark and Share
    Tom Toro - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tom

Default Mint Palys taking over again. How can I kill 'em without killing other corals?

The Mint palys are encroaching on my chalices. Last time this happened, I ended up taking the rocks out to dry to kill 'em. Just wondering if you guys use anything to control palys or zoas when they get out of hand.

A couple of options for me are the aiptasia electrocutor and kalk paste. Has anybody used this thing completely underwater and is it safe? Also, is the kalk paste strong enough to kill a paly?

There's a laser, but that sounds dangerous to fish or other corals that you happen to zap on the way to the paly.

Any ideas or methods using what I already have?
    240g Great Lakes Glass! ETSS1400/panworld250,LED 120wX4 AJM, LED,2x sunbrite ,Tunzex4/,200gal sump/mixed reef/Biopellets. Hammerhead return. UV 57w. Chiller.

135g down and given to a buddy. New pic after the wall is repaired.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

With proper eye, hand, and ventilation mask, outside-

Bernzomatic TS3000KC Self Igniting Torch Kit-336626 - The Home Depot

Maybe you could cook them off?? The flame is adjustable. Dont see why it wouldnt work. Just be carefull of the "fumes"
    Likes Tom Toro liked this post

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Using tweezers, I've just always peeled them off the rock. Making sure to grab them as close to the rock as possible. I've had much success this way. Allowing me to clear only the areas I want.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

Tom Toro - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tom

Good suggestions, Folks. I have tons of these and will probably have to remove the rocks, however I do it. I will use a chemical mask I bought just after I had the first sickness from palys. Did my research after of course and you're right Chris, it's real bad for you for sure.
    240g Great Lakes Glass! ETSS1400/panworld250,LED 120wX4 AJM, LED,2x sunbrite ,Tunzex4/,200gal sump/mixed reef/Biopellets. Hammerhead return. UV 57w. Chiller.

135g down and given to a buddy. New pic after the wall is repaired.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

We always use the aptasia X or kalkwasser paste. It works but you'll have to do it severally times. Good luck

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Toro View Post
    The Mint palys are encroaching on my chalices. Last time this happened, I ended up taking the rocks out to dry to kill 'em. Just wondering if you guys use anything to control palys or zoas when they get out of hand.

A couple of options for me are the aiptasia electrocutor and kalk paste. Has anybody used this thing completely underwater and is it safe? Also, is the kalk paste strong enough to kill a paly?

There's a laser, but that sounds dangerous to fish or other corals that you happen to zap on the way to the paly.

Any ideas or methods using what I already have?
    We use to have an Aptasia zapper we got from Mike Zalewski. Until it fried it would remove any palley,aptasia,mahano.... The real one I would assume would last longer and make things easier

that Reef Guy - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Steve
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Be very very careful with those Paly's.

Hopefully they are not Texas Trash but it sounds like they might be.

Do you have a picture of them?

I have heard of few stories of those Nuking Tanks with Paly Toxin.

I always tell people never to get Texas Trash Paly's because of that.

I Nuked a Tank of Hammer and Frogspawn from Purple Death Paly Toxin (Wish I never got them).

And I was not even trying to Kill them.

It was from Water Changes!

Every time I did my Weekly Water Change everything was very Stress Out for the next few days.

The SPS Frags died immediatly from the first time it happened and the LPS all died after a few more times with them in my Tank.

The only corals that lived were the Zoanthids and Palys (I am sure they must be somewhat immune to Paly Toxin since they carry it themselves.