[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Morphing zoo's

Bookmark and Share
    graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

Default Morphing zoo's

I have posted before about some zoo's that I had morphing. I thought it was just something that naturally occured when 2 different colonies grew together.
    I have been doing a lot of research on this and am going to be setting up a little experiment in the next week.
    zoo's will go through big physical morphs reflecting the conditions they are kept. If you keep them too low in the tank withnot enough light, they will extend their stalks "reaching" up to get to the light. if you keep them in too high a flow they tend to "skirt out" extending their lashes so long in fact that the skirts can cover the rest of the zoo.
    One of the biggest factors in morphing is lighting. I have seen 2 frags of the same colony change into 2 completly different looking colonies. one colony was kept under 50/50 PC and the other under 14k hamilton DE 250w MH. after 2 months of being in the tank you could not tell that they came off the same colony.
    Now granted that these were 2 seperate systems and there was a diff in water chemistry. But the 2 tanks were close enough in chemistry in my opinion for this not to be toooo big a factor in the changes of color patterns.
    I am going to try and set up the same type of little experiment. I have a friend that has a 20 gallon tank under 50/50 PC I am going to select a colony out of my grow tanks and give him a colony of them and document the transformations that the zoo's under go.
    I am still about a week out from launching this. when I get the colony selected I will take a pic of the "before" and take pics of the colony each week to document if there is any change in the patterns and colors of the zoo's.
    I just thought this interesting and wanted to share it with you guys. should be fun to see what happens.
    fulltankshot 1 - Morphing zoo's

Keep us updated, sounds interesting

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

I would wounder if food is a contributing factor??
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

I gave some zos to a Friend and after a few months Thea don't look like
    the same ones as Thea went from a MH tank to a PC lite tank
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7

If you put those two colonies in the same tank under the same light, they would be the same again. Corals definately adapt to different conditions.

It would be really cool to have someone document what conditions caused certain changes.

By the way, everything you sold me is doing awesome!

mutts - Reefkeeper Registered User
    First Name
    Manda Wolf

I have some zoas on a rock that broke in half so i put them in two differnt places, one is higher then the other. the higher one has very nice orange coloration while the lower ones are very drab. if i ever have time i will post some pictures
    ~Amanda~

It is really nice to see you here in this thread. While your online how about you go over to the TOTM thread and enter or vote. It will only take a minute

check this site out for more info. www.zoaid.com

Those two articles are cool. I think this hobby needs more people doing experiments or publishing their experiences like this.

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

they are out there Fally ... we just have to find them ... that is the trick

Maybe we need some sort of community bookmark repository for reef related sites. Like del.icio.us Reefers...