[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

MUCHO zoa husbandry question?

Bookmark and Share
    Wy Renegade - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Randy

Default MUCHO zoa husbandry question?

So MUCHO (or is it Mooch?), the thread on RC where it mentions your "derailing methods of zoa husbandry") really has me curious. Are you willing to share your personal thoughts/methods for zoa husbandry?
    I collect PEs, and I'm always looking to trade for ones I don't have yet.

Myteemouse - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Tank of the Month

I glue mine down and hope they grow I stat at the bottom and move them around if they look unhappy..
    Some like more flow and less light some like the opposite, all are different..
    President of Zoaholics anonymous.
    still on first step of twelve

MUCHO REEF - Reefkeeper CR Member

LOL, is this a joke? LOL, "Derailing methods of Husbandry". LOL, I wish I knew what they were. I'm old school and I do everything slowly. I don't overfeed, I keep my hands out of my tank, I never over stock and always maintain an appropriate bio load, I seldom if ever frag and never over frag. More zoas and palys have perished in the past 5 years from over and excessive fragging for the sole purpose of profit and gain. I believe in letting the corals do what they do naturally without disturbing them when I need extra cash flow. I use very few additives and little to no automation or advance technology. I only keep compatible corals and read up on anything the I purchase which could have an adverse negative impact on my system. I test everything once per week, I keep a log of everything I see, add, take out, move and do to my system and I perform a 20 % water change every other week. When it comes to polyps, I place them on the reef when they arrive and I move them once at the most twice, employing the zig zag method and I leave them alone.

Persistent moving of zoas and palys will slow, stunt and stop growth. I never use tap water, I don't allow anyone to smoke around my tank, and I try very hard to keep everything as constant as possible even though zoas and palys can be very forgiving. Minute changes are ok, I run my fug on a reverse photoperiod to prevent a PH swing when the tank is dark. I never over stock, Once or twice per month I leave the tank completely dark for one or two days. Try it and watch what happens to your zoas and palys.I test everything once per week, I use R/O water, I pray everyday and a few other little things I do. Experience is the only husbandry skill that I have, so I'm still baffled by what the "Derailing Husbandry Methods" are that I have, LOL. I have to go read that one.

Reefing is no secret, I just take my time and "listen to my reef, as it will usually yields all the answers"

What about your methods, I'd love to hear about them as well.

Mucho Reef
    Last edited by MUCHO REEF; 06-05-2010 at 04:45 PM.
    Please stop fragging your frags.......you'll eventually do more damage than good. Just let them grow.

First Name
    Manoj
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner Tank of the Month

I start off most of the zoas with partial shade and then slowly find a proper spot for it. Once I find a spot thats good for them I stick with that spot. I dont move them much.

Measure my params once every week and I keep a watch on my temp.

But I do put my hands in the tank more than I should lol..I should refrain...:embarrased:

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Mucho I love the quote "I listen to my reef....." so true.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

MUCHO REEF - Reefkeeper CR Member

It's true, the only reefing quote I've ever written, LOL. I can look at my tank usually and I can tell if there is a problem and what the problem is. Or, just backtrack and you'll bump into it. Keeping a log is also a must.

Mucho Reef
    Please stop fragging your frags.......you'll eventually do more damage than good. Just let them grow.

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Can't agree more. I probably rely on my senses too much rather than actual scientific testing. But knock on wood, my attention to detail rarely fails me!
    I do need to do a better job of keeping a log however. It's hot and cold. I found reefnook.com to be very helpful in doing so!
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

Wy Renegade - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Randy

Nope, it wasn't a joke; the quote was taken from 121's thread on RC, it was titled check these out or something like that and you asked him to describe more info on his tank. He responded by saying that he would PM you the details; as he thought his methods were similar to yours and would derail the thread (paraphrasing here). Made me really curious as to what your methods were.

My methods are like Rob, I probably rely way to much on observation rather than testing. Really the only thing I test regularly is Alkalinity; as that seems to be the only parameter that fluctuates regularly in my tank. I try and do a weekly 10% water change and a 20% monthly water change at the end of the month when I change out my carbon. I try to not move things too much, but do place frags on the sandbed when I receive them and then slowly move them to the position where I want them.

Since I never seem to have any real luck selling or trading frags (shipping seems to be an issue), so I guess my new goal is simply to grow in my reef as much as possible. I'm planning to start two new tanks this summer; one is a 20L DYI all in one - it will be predominantly LPS with a few select zoas and palys. The second will be a 75gal with a 33xtra long overhead fuge and a 55gal sump; it will be a mixed reef (place for the softies, LPS, SPS, and monti caps I'm removing from my 65gal so I can go strictly Zoas in it).
    I collect PEs, and I'm always looking to trade for ones I don't have yet.