[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Polyps vs. Red Mythrax Crab??

Bookmark and Share
    Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Polyps vs. Red Mythrax Crab??

I Have had a small valonia issue in spots for a long while, was figuring a couple emerald crabs would help out. Only issue is the polyp safeness issue. I have heard the stories, and dont want to experience an emerald munching on my favorite polyps!

I have been reading a bit on the Red Mythrax Crab. Says they are more common on the reef, and not collected in the shoreline/shallows like the emeralds are. Being acustomed to living on the reef, I read they are more likely to be coral safe.

What are your thoughts/experiences? Would like to hear some first hand experience on this one.

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

i dont know about reds but i have an emerald in my fuge and i also have radioactive dragon eyes in there and he doesnt touch them, he gobbled up all of the hair algae and other bad algae on my chaeto and stuck on the baffle, every now and them i scrape the glass for him and he comes running out for it. so in my experience my emerald crab hasnt touched polyps but this is mine for one, he is also not in the display for two.

just trying to spread some thought on this, ive read few good things about the reds but i would think if they were so great how come they hardly carry them anywhere?

demonclownfish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Chatbox Menace

i had a emerald crab..... at a few polyps and cleaned a branch of pocci before i caught him

korndiddy20 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Mark

I have some emeralds and Ive never noticed them eating polyps. I have noticed them picking at things around the polyps. I wonder if they actually are eating the zoa or are trying to eat the stuff around the polyps or possibly on the polyps. I had a couple of red mithrax for sale at the A2 swap and they sold pretty quick, I plan on being at the lansing swap and will bring some more.

RedfordReefer - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    ThunderChicken

Chris, I have two red Mythrax as well as two emeralds. The reds have been in my tank since the day it was cycled and I've never ever ONCE had a problem. They come out at night and pick at things on the rocks, but I've never ever seen them bother anything. I do watch my tank every night about for an hour or more. I did get to see a spawning event thought one night, which was the coolest thing I have seen first-hand in my tank.

korndiddy20 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by RedfordReefer View Post
    Chris, I have two red Mythrax as well as two emeralds. The reds have been in my tank since the day it was cycled and I've never ever ONCE had a problem. They come out at night and pick at things on the rocks, but I've never ever seen them bother anything. I do watch my tank every night about for an hour or more. I did get to see a spawning event thought one night, which was the coolest thing I have seen first-hand in my tank.

what about the emeralds?

RedfordReefer - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    ThunderChicken

I've seen an emerald on a green cap that I have, but I think he was eating stuff off the frag plug. I have never seen them pick at anything other than rock.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris

Mine hasnt touched a piece of coral at all, and from my reading, I dont expect it to.

Glad to hear everyones experiences line up with what my small amount of research on the crab I have found. Its a picking machine!!! I think it was picking hydroids of a lps piece today. Going to take a look later and see if it picked the piece clean. That would be cool if it did!

iyachtuxivm - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jamie

I have a huge green that doesnt bother a thing except algae.
    "The beatings will continue until morale improves."