[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

True or False, did this REALLY and TRULY happen ?????

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
    Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

^ Good thinking.

I know absolutely nothing about HGH, or anything like it...

CR Member
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

I can almost buy into that, but even if it is true, what is the effect on the zoo's going to be? I was into flowerhorns for awhile, and some overseas farms supposedly use HGH or other hormones to grow the humps on the heads, and make the fish grow faster so they can sell at a higher price. The lifespan of those fish is very short, so I'm guessing it's probly going to be the same with these zoo's if in fact this is true. Just a though.

softiegirl - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Sue
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Quote Originally Posted by medwards View Post
    Ill say might be plausible. Rubbing alcohol and robitussin do strange things to me. Never any growth, but im not a zoo/paly.
    um, I have to butt in here, lol, WHAT are you talking about?? I can maybe see the robitussin, but WHAT, pray tell, do you do with rubbing alcohol??????????????????????????????

Oh and my answer is yes, I believe it did and could happen. Growth on a cellular level from a hormone should be similar across the board of species. A cell is a cell.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by softiegirl View Post
    Oh and my answer is yes, I believe it did and could happen. Growth on a cellular level from a hormone should be similar across the board of species. A cell is a cell.
    If that's true (not saying it's not)...we should be using byropsis growth hormone...

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by MUCHO REEF View Post
    The answer is hidden within this thread.
    Very "The Da Vinci Code-esque" MUCHO!

Sure it could have happened, but I have a feeling that HGH had little if anything to do with the growth.

While I don't doubt this reefer was able to achieve impressive growth with his/her zoas and palys, as presented there is no way of proving it was the HGH that caused it. In order to prove it was the HGH there would need to be a control frag for each of the injected frags. In other words an equal size frag, from the same mother colony, placed next to the injected frag. With the ONLY difference between them being the HGH. Without controls there are simply too many variables (WC, other additives, PAR variations, flow, ect.) that could have influenced the growth to truly be able to say it was HGH.

Tom

Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

A cell is a cell does not work. This is because cellular functions differ across the species. It is possible that HGH may work but I think it is too species specific. Cell are very different between species. People produce proteins homones and ect that other animals dont have and vice versa. That is why there is a difference between species.

handlevandal - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jacki
    Awards Nano Contest Winner

Well, this one kept me awake last night! I started thinking that this stuff he used was synthetic so perhaps it could work. My problem with the HUMAN thing would still be there if it was the real deal from the pituitary gland of some homo sapiens, but since this is the stuff that has been created in a lab it's actually just a bunch of chemicals anyway. I'm still curious as to what the 'other' stuff was, but I'm starting to think that it actually could be true. It's not REAL HGH so one can hope that it REALLY happened, right?

jay13 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jay

A cell is not a cell, but...... Remember the stink about Bovine Growth Hormone in milk and the effects it was having on kids?

handlevandal - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jacki
    Awards Nano Contest Winner

Quote Originally Posted by jay13 View Post
    A cell is not a cell, but...... Remember the stink about Bovine Growth Hormone in milk and the effects it was having on kids?
    I believe that was also a synthetic created by one of those DuPont Monsanto companies. More stuff from a lab.

MUCHO REEF - Reefkeeper CR Member

You're correct, it's impossible. I also posted this on another site and the answer Wycombes gave was perfect.

Please stop fragging your frags.......you'll eventually do more damage than good. Just let them grow.

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last