[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Zoa/Palys with your other Corals OR other Corals with your Zoa/Palys

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member

Default Zoa/Palys with your other Corals OR other Corals with your Zoa/Palys

No, this is not a trick question.

Basically,
    Is your system set up to keep Zoa / Palys ? And you try to keep other types Corals in the same tank / system.
    or
    Is your system set up to keep LPS ? And you try to keep Zoa / Palys in the same tank / system.
    or
    Is your system set up to keep SPS ? And you try to keep Zoa / Palys in the same tank / system.

iyachtuxivm - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jamie

I try to keep what I like. Unfortunatly I like a lot! But most of it seems to do well with the generic reef params.
    I do keep calc (and until latley kh) up in the upper end of the spectrum.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

My system is, for the most part, set up for keeping sps. I do keep a mixed reef though- Lps and polyps. The whole bottom of the deep tank works out great for them.

Wy Renegade - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Randy

I actually run/maintain multiple tanks between home and school. My home tank was initially set-up as a mixed reef; zoas -n-palys, softies (leathers, ricordia, srooms, xenia, gorgonians, etc), minimal sps (birdsnest, monti caps, encrusting montis, and digitatus), and a few LPS (open brain and acans). I've removed or lost most of the softies (minus a few of the srooms - which I can't get rid of, and the gorgonians), I'm working towards removing the SPS, and gave up on most of the open brains a couple years ago. I still have a single LPS, an acan frag. I'm also working to change the system to make it only a paly-n-zoa tank.
    I collect PEs, and I'm always looking to trade for ones I don't have yet.

John - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    John
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

This has to be a trick question... I setup my tank with every intention of keeping a mixed reef. Even the equipment and filtration...

I knew I would keep SPS within' 1"-20" of the water surface. Usually near the center of the aquarium to show them off. With large cap colonies on both sides of the main rockwork.

As for the LPS, there would be a few frogspawns and trumpets at the mid range.

Then I have 1' on each side of my tank that has no light, that is where I intended to keep all of my really low light corals. (But, I have caps growing on my sandbed in these areas)

I have a few softies as well, they are in the shaded areas of my tank as well as in direct light.

So, the Zs and Ps are all 14" or more inches away from my water surface. I do need to be more careful when adding Zs and Ps though, as they can get burned easily...

As for water filtration, I went with a skimmer that is a bit overkill for my system just so my wife can pick as many fish as she would like to add to the system. All corals love fish poop after all.
    I will think outside the glassbox.

CR Member

This has to be a trick question...
    No, not a trick question.
    But, a question that a lot of Hobbyist do not ask themselves before setting up a Tank / System.

Lets say that the "New" Tank will house Mainly or Strictly SPS.
    Flow requirements are different than say Softies.

Some of those Diehard SPS Hobbyist like to try and blast their Colonies off of the rock.
    This type of flow may just bend a Nice Leather into a pretzel.

Or say, a low nutrient tank brings out better color in SPS and will starve a Softy.

I have found that my Zoa / Palys like there water a litter Dirtier, if I want them to propagate and just not exist.

Trying to shove as many different Corals in a given dimension, just because you like their looks.
    May not turn out the way you planned.
    Or
    Having a 400w Metal Halide over a 18" tall tank may work well for some and fry others.

CR Member

i just do small tanks or "gardens" as i like to call them, my newest one is set up just for zoa's and paly's, i also have an sps garden and a softie garden, its fun to have a bunch of small gardens.