[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

zoanthid placement

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
    pinky - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Laura

Default zoanthid placement

I acquired a 29 gal biocube almost a year ago with a tomato clown and a blue fin damsel fish. I quickly switched it over to live sand and rock and waited and waited and waited added some snails and hermit crabs, and waited some more I just ordered my first batch of assorted zoanthid polyps along with some pods and more snails, and am very very excited for them. My question is where in the tank should I set the frags? I read over an older post regarding this which had great info but for the most part all the zoas were under t5 lighting. My cube has the stock lighting which is power compacts so I am concerned that the placement is going to be even more important with my weak lighting any one here have more info regarding zoas and power compacts?? So far I gather that just like everything else salt water it just depends on your personal experience. But the main thing I gather is that it is color and size that changes with the placement. Also the info seems to be just about split between sand bed or mid level, but most agree with medium flow. Any input on this matter would be greatly appreciated and as soon as I get my new additions ill post pictures and maybe we can play name that zoanthid!!!

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Low to mid level. Do you know what lighting they've been kept under? This will help in placing them.
    Otherwise I would start them on the SB and move them up.

Congrats and post pic's when they get settled in

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com
    Likes pinky liked this post

First Name
    Laura

Thank you I didn't think to ask what they are under now but ill make a call and find out!

First Name
    Laura

Ok found out they have been under LED's.... I am thinking of one day upgrading the lighting but for now I am just happy that I got things going along nicely. I might of jumped the gun getting the zoas but I have been waiting so long.... and they were a great deal I hope they do ok. Also found out in my research that the tiny greenish starfish my LFS "threw in for free" are possibly coral eaters!!!! yep pretty much freaking out over here now...

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Any idea on the name of said Star Fish?

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

MyNemesis - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    John
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Fishbowl Drawing #3 MCES 2012 ($25 Reef Paradise Gift Certificate)

Default Zoas

I had a 29 gallon Bio Cube in my office for years and the zoanthids were just thrilled to be a part of the tank. I would start them on your sandbed and see how they look. I think they would tolerate a higher placement if that is where you want to put them, like midway up in the tank. As to the teeny greenish starfish, take a picture, we will identify it in a snap!

First Name
    Laura

from what i gather reading greenback asterinas?? spelling is a bit different in the post and they may not even be the greenback variety i will snap a pick if i can but they are small fat lil starfish that are dark greenish some have 5 legs some 3 some even 6. all different sizes and they threw in like 15...

One post i read said that they had tons and have never had a problem with them eating their zoas... but others show pick of the starfish all over colones..

First Name
    Laura

naturally when you go looking they are all hiding. But i spotted two a larger one under a rock and a tiny one on a shell
    Attached Images Attached Images  

First Name
    Laura

here is the tiny one

First Name
    Laura

sorry for the multiple posts i couldn't get it to upload more than one pic

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last