[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

zoanthid placement

Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default zoanthid placement

Very nice size frag! Can't wait to see them open!!!

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

pinky - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Laura

Thanks Im excited too. So its been 2 days now and none have opened I thought the biggest head was opening a little bit cause I could see more dark in the center then the next morning it was closed tight again. Do they normally close up at night and reopen in the morning?? Or is it maybe the stupid starfish cause they are still in the tank!

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Zoa's do close up at night. But I'm a little concerned that they haven't opened yet. It should be pretty easy for you to spot any stars on them. Try moving them up a little.

First Name
    Laura

Ok I moved them up about mid tank there are a few heads that seem to maybe be opening a little the centers are darker but they are still pretty much closed up tight. I'll update again when i get home tonight. and I havent seen any stars around them they seem to stay on my rocks and as they come out im throwing them out! so I dont think its the start fish I just didn't know if they would go munchin on my zoas and then hide.... I really hope they survive its my very fist coral and i have waited well after others said it was safe I hate to think I'm killin them....

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

No your not killing them I've been reefing for 4yrs and have had very little success with keeping Zoa's alive. Aside from 1 type all others have perished
    Having said this there are many who are very successful keeping them. I personally don't know how they do it-lol.
    Give them time and remember, it's not always the keeper's fault sometimes Zoa's just melt

First Name
    Laura

Well I didnt post last night because I think you are right and I SO didnt want you to be. But yeah they do look to be dieing and it is odd cause they honestly look to be melting. I have read where people talk about this happening but I thought it to be weird way to describing a coral dieing, but that really is what it looks like. Some of the heads seem to be almost shedding, some are almost transparent, and they just dont look as full and the color is brown not that blueish gray when they first arrived. I got some pics here.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

First Name
    Laura

Im not gonna take it out I have read where other people have had them come back from the brink of death, maybe these will. Crossing fingers
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

I'm sorry darlin They do look kind a rough but like you said, stay positive and maybe they'll make a come back

First Name
    Laura

yep this sucks..... But now I just have to try again, seeing how we seem to share the same bad luck with these guys got any suggestions for another coral?? I will keep these and see what happens, but I not gonna give up. Im gonna go page hunting and see what else catches my eye, which is fun!

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by pinky View Post
    yep this sucks..... But now I just have to try again, seeing how we seem to share the same bad luck with these guys got any suggestions for another coral?? I will keep these and see what happens, but I not gonna give up. Im gonna go page hunting and see what else catches my eye, which is fun!
    I wouldn't call it BAD luck just yet for you! Me on the other hand I would after 4yrs of trying lol.
    LPS have always thrived for me Much more so then Zoa's anyways lol. Some of my favorites are, Duncans, Hammer, Candy Canes, Favia's and Blastos. I'm also having good luck with my 1 and only Acan.
    udupydam - zoanthid placement

Likes pinky liked this post

Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last