[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

zoanthid placement

Bookmark and Share
Page 4 of 4 First ... 2 3 4
    pinky - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Laura

that's beautiful love the colors and they look very happy! I think I will make a trip to Atlanta to a much larger fish store than my tiny local place and pick it up this time the Zoas came from Fla and maybe the travel was too hard on them, but I was actually just looking at the candy canes I'm liking them and I read they can be fast growers!! And I wont do the H2O2 dip again im gonna order one I was gonna order some coral food anyways. Lesson totally learned

pinky - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Laura

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    1st... don't use hydrogen peroxide as a dip there are far better options that are better for the coral as well. This could have been your zoas demise. I prefer to use bayer insecticide. If you can't find a link to its use as a dip pm me I will find one or list how to do it, but I think it has been mentioned here before somewhere...

2nd... in the last 2 pics they appear to have something covering them, can you tell if it is a pest, slime, or "other" and can you use a turkey baster to blow it off, that may help.

3rd... They don't look good, but I have brought pieces back from worse. So they still have a chance IMO. Try to keep them clean and pest/ irritant free.

Thanks for the input I only did the dip cause I read it a bunch but I also read people using the professional stuff ill look around and see what I can get. But I will get something before I buy anything else. And I try to blow them off and I got a lot of the dead stuff lose, I found a few heads in the center that still have good color but when I was blowing them off it really just reminded me of like the skin of the zoas or sort of like they hollowed out on the inside.

BEETLE60 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bruce

Hi Pinky,you haven't posted your tank param's ,I assume that you have checked all your levels,Po4,alk etc.etc
    let us know where they are at ,good luck with the zoa's ,hope they pull through !
    Likes MizTanks liked this post

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

You might want to try a product called Revive,doesn't seam to be too harsh on zoa's. I have been reefing over twenty years and have seen peroxide dips kill more then they help. Chris's advice is good one but since you have no QT setup it would be best to try the revive. Even if Zoa's look like they are melting theirs always a chance they will come back. The revive will remove virtually any pest and won't hurt it in this condition. It is also an antiseptic that will help clean and repair the damage that has been done. It is similar to coral RX Miz recommended . After you dip it try to put in a medium flow area with good light and cross your fingers! Good luck.

Ps if you decide to use the Bayer the best recipe is 8ml per liter. There is a chance it can harm your fish tho,that is why most people QT after dipping in it.
    Last edited by binford4000; 07-27-2013 at 02:22 PM.
    Likes MizTanks liked this post

MyNemesis - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    John
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Fishbowl Drawing #3 MCES 2012 ($25 Reef Paradise Gift Certificate)

Default Zoanthid Products

I use the Coral Revive and like it. Good dip for new zoas. In terms of treatment of any parasites, etc., Revive kills adult zoa nudibranchs and other pests, but isn't good at getting rid of the eggs. Also, it takes the zoas a little longer to come back from the dip.
    Hydrogen Peroxide dips are good for only one thing in my opinion: killing macro algaes on your zoas or other corals that are killing them. The peroxide wastes whatever green weed is choking them out and is a good fix for that. Always remember to give your zoas a quick fresh RO/DI dip before they go back in the tank, or dip them in tank water water and have a chance to check them out carefully and put them back. I will be honest here. I picked up zoanthid eating nudibranchs at the A2 swap and have had a heck of a time getting rid of them.
    I have tried a new product, RPS All Out and am very pleased with the results. It kills the bad guys, including the eggs evidently, and the corals come right back like they haven't had the crap kicked out of them. I am ordering a bottle. Here's a link: RPS All Out Coral Dip | Wholesale Coral | Detroit Coral Farms, Wholesale Live Corals
    Last edited by MyNemesis; 07-27-2013 at 08:59 PM.
    Likes MizTanks, binford4000 liked this post

Page 4 of 4 First ... 2 3 4