[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Zoa's and gluing?

Bookmark and Share
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Zoa's and gluing?

Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Every time I try gluing zoas to rock they always wind up bailing. Am I using to much glue? They don't like the rock, lighting or what?
    Keep in mind I've never had much luck with zoas anyways But I'm trying very hard to keep/rescue a few from the ole Miz26.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

The success of gluing loose polyps is dependent on the style of zoanthid or paly. I've done okay gluing larger non-slimy polyps. Also, getting them happy and growing is key. They need to start basing down on the substrate you've glued them to or they will eventually detach from the glue come loose.

I would say there is a bit of an art to getting the right amount of glue on there. Thinking back, my most successful attempts have been with glue only on the lower 25% of the polyp. I also immediately place the curing glue and polyp back in the tank water (whehter it is back in the tank or an external container). I think this is important because it minimizes the slime produced by the polyp, dissipates heat produced by the curing glue...which can harm the polyp, and helps the glue setup faster.

Placing the polyp in a spot that gives it good healthy flow, but not enough to blast it off its base is important as well.

Of course trying to get polyps with some rock attached is always easier when possible.

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Use a tooth pick and apply a small on tjr plug or rock. Glue only the stem not the skirt of the zoa or paly.
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

What type of glue are you using? If it's standard crazy glue... Forget about it!

Tom

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Zoa's and gluing?

No it's the Krazy Glue Gel. I put a drop on the rock and gently set the zoa on the glue & put back in the tank.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

I never had much luck with krazy glue gel. The types sold for gluing corals work better.

Tom

ksfulk - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Kris

I cheat and use the lid from an old media container and I toss in some rubble or ARM media in there, then you can set the loose polyps /shrooms/whatever in the lid and they'll attach to a piece of substrate. A week later I just glue the piece of rubble to the frag plug, or if the rubbles big enough, then you dont even need a plug!

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

I use the gel from two little fishes or BRS. Its thick and works great. The only glue I have no luck with is the cheap glue from the Tropicorium.
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!