[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

zoas closing when growing

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    bigbill - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bill
    Awards Grow Out King - 2011 Grow Out Contest Photo of the Month MBI Participant

Default zoas closing when growing

well i have come to notice that most of my zoas will close for 2 days our so before growing new pollys just wanted to get others feed back on this
    I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.
    Steve Irwin
    mbisite.org/mbi_sig.aspx?u=bigbill&img=2

bigbill - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bill
    Awards Grow Out King - 2011 Grow Out Contest Photo of the Month MBI Participant

yea its all ways been good when mine done it and some stay closed longer then others
    but all ways baby pollys when the re open
    I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.
    Steve Irwin
    mbisite.org/mbi_sig.aspx?u=bigbill&img=2

MUCHO REEF - Reefkeeper CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    well i have come to notice that most of my zoas will close for 2 days our so before growing new pollys just wanted to get others feed back on this
    I've never heard or read that before, hmmm. Could it be that they are exerting energy for said growth which results in retraction?

Mucho
    Please stop fragging your frags.......you'll eventually do more damage than good. Just let them grow.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

I too- have seen this happen, right before a bunch of baby polyps appear. Like chort mentioned- somtimes, and not on all the polyps I have owned.

I think Mucho is on the right track- maybe the energy exertion of popping new polyps causes them to close, or closing and building up energy to make new polyps?[COLOR="Silver"]

bluwc - Reefkeeper CR Member

I had 1/2 of a colony of Bam Bams close up for close to a week. I didn't see any bugs on them and everything else in the tank looked great!. I even dipped them in case something was irritating them. After several days, they finally opened up back to normal and there were a few baby polyps.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I've noticed this myself as well with certain varieties.

Wy Renegade - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Randy

Very typical behavior for members of the PE zoanthid group.
    I collect PEs, and I'm always looking to trade for ones I don't have yet.

Corvette Reefer - Reefkeeper CR Member

iv heard of this happing before but never see or had it happen to me. but im sure its normal.
    The names Vette, Corvette. . .

MUCHO REEF - Reefkeeper CR Member

Knock on wood, I have never noticed retraction which resulted in any growth ever in any zoas, palys or protos. Not saying it isn't possible, just never heard or seen that before.

Hmmm...8 people replied to this one thread. Could it be.....is it......is the zoa forum alive again? Lets see?

Mucho Reef
    Please stop fragging your frags.......you'll eventually do more damage than good. Just let them grow.

bluwc - Reefkeeper CR Member

Maybe, I just started collecting them and really starting to like the higher end stuff. I had something weird happen today though which I have never seen, my devil's armour is placed in the sandbed upright, the stems bent (almost looked like it was broken) in 1/2 towards the sand bed and two of the polyps had their sweeper out feeding.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last