[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Zoas not opening??

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    Ocho Cinco - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Mike

Default Zoas not opening??

Ok, my tank is new to me but has been runnign for 3 years. When I got the tank i kept only 5 gallons (24 gallon AP) and made the rest new and added all new supstrate. The water tests fine and the one clownfish it came with is doing great. Anyway....i got a 5 polyp frag of Fire and ice and as of late they dont seem to be opening. The first few days they were opening but not completly. I can kinda see a little dark green on them but just in smaller bloches. This mught be a problem, but as of now i just have a freshwater planted tank light on it because im still waiting for my halide bulb to come in the mail . Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    DO WORK!

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Zoas not opening- there are many reasons for this to happen. I will go through a few-

Aclimation- zoas can be very sensitive to new tanks/parameters/flow/lights. Until they are aclimated, when newly added to a tank, they can at times take a very long time to open.

Predators/irritators- zoas will close when being bothered. If your zoas close up, and dont open, take a really close look at the cosed polyps for nudis, flatworms, asterinas, spiders, bristol worms, algea, vermitid snails, and fungus. Also includes hermits and snails that have traveled through the polyps. Pretty much anything that could be touching the polyp, or brushing against it to make it close.

PH and alk and temperature swings- All of these are known to bother zoas and somtimes close them up.

Fungus, bacterias and zoa pox- Look for any kind of sponge or paste material in your polyps. Also watch for white bumps/lesions on the stalks of your polyps.

Light shock- it can close up, and also bleach, polyps if time isnt taken to aclimate them to new, higher output lighting.

Nipping/perching- Some fish (along with many considered reef safe) might develop a tendancy to nip/eat polyps. Some of these include- Tangs, rabit fish, butterflys, and angels, and also sally lightfoot and emerald crabs. All have been known to develop a taste for polyps. Not saying they will, but can. Others have the tendancy to perch on polyps, causing them to close up. Some of these include- Blennies, dragonettes, and hawkfish.

Stray voltage- This will irritate zoas into closing up.

Any of these sound right?

First Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Patrick View Post
    Zoas not opening- there are many reasons for this to happen. I will go through a few-

Aclimation- zoas can be very sensitive to new tanks/parameters/flow/lights. Until they are aclimated, when newly added to a tank, they can at times take a very long time to open.

Predators/irritators- zoas will close when being bothered. If your zoas close up, and dont open, take a really close look at the cosed polyps for nudis, flatworms, asterinas, spiders, bristol worms, algea, vermitid snails, and fungus. Also includes hermits and snails that have traveled through the polyps. Pretty much anything that could be touching the polyp, or brushing against it to make it close.

PH and alk and temperature swings- All of these are known to bother zoas and somtimes close them up.

Fungus, bacterias and zoa pox- Look for any kind of sponge or paste material in your polyps. Also watch for white bumps/lesions on the stalks of your polyps.

Light shock- it can close up, and also bleach, polyps if time isnt taken to aclimate them to new, higher output lighting.

Nipping/perching- Some fish (along with many considered reef safe) might develop a tendancy to nip/eat polyps. Some of these include- Tangs, rabit fish, butterflys, and angels, and also sally lightfoot and emerald crabs. All have been known to develop a taste for polyps. Not saying they will, but can. Others have the tendancy to perch on polyps, causing them to close up. Some of these include- Blennies, dragonettes, and hawkfish.

Stray voltage- This will irritate zoas into closing up.

Any of these sound right?
    It kinda looks like there could be something on them becuase I can see a very faint brownish greenish color on them. I woulod say the lighting wouldnt be enough.....all I have on top is a 2 bulb plant like. Ill look closer at them 2morrow tho. Would dipping help? What works the best?
    DO WORK!

First Name
    Chris

Sounds like they are already stressed, and an unecesary dip will further stress them. Any chance of a pic of these polyps and the green you mentioned?

First Name
    Mike

Sounds like they are already stressed, and an unecesary dip will further stress them. Any chance of a pic of these polyps and the green you mentioned?
    I can try 2morrow when i turn the lights on. The spots are real small but ill c what i can do.
    DO WORK!

First Name
    Chris

Check the pic for zoa pox in this post- and let me know if its the same/similar-

General zoa/paly info- Need a quick answer, look here.

Pic is near the bottom.

First Name
    Mike

Check the pic for zoa pox in this post- and let me know if its the same/similar-

General zoa/paly info- Need a quick answer, look here.

Pic is near the bottom.
    I would say no on teh zoa pox. There's nothing that large and noticeable on them.
    DO WORK!

CR Member

I had a frag of zoas that decided to close up a few months ago. I let them be for three days before I took a closer look. These had been in my tank for about 8 months and had been doing fine. I noticed a light brownish discoloration on the stalks and decided to dip them. I tried iodine first - two dips, one per day did nothing. Next I tried Furan 2 which cleared it up on the first dip, I did dip them a second day, but they were already starting to open up and it probably wasn't neccessary. When I put them back in the tank I adjusted for a higher flow past them and they have been open and healthy looking since.

That being said, with my cf lighting, I have noticed that some of my brighter zoas will close for a few days occasionally when they start to get a little dull, and when they open back up they are really bright again. So it may have more to do with your current light than anything.

First Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by BWsReef View Post
    I had a frag of zoas that decided to close up a few months ago. I let them be for three days before I took a closer look. These had been in my tank for about 8 months and had been doing fine. I noticed a light brownish discoloration on the stalks and decided to dip them. I tried iodine first - two dips, one per day did nothing. Next I tried Furan 2 which cleared it up on the first dip, I did dip them a second day, but they were already starting to open up and it probably wasn't neccessary. When I put them back in the tank I adjusted for a higher flow past them and they have been open and healthy looking since.

That being said, with my cf lighting, I have noticed that some of my brighter zoas will close for a few days occasionally when they start to get a little dull, and when they open back up they are really bright again. So it may have more to do with your current light than anything.
    Ok, because I'm still waiting for my halide bulb to come. Then my light would be fine, right now its a little weak. So wait on the dip and see how the new bulb helps it?
    DO WORK!

First Name
    Chris

I would just give it time, and keep an eye on it. Watch for fungus/film or any other growth on the closed polyps. Also keep an eye for the polyps to get a "pinched" look to them. If you see any of this- let us know.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last