[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

zooanthid health

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member
    First Name
    jim

Default zooanthid health

hey there.....im new to this hobby, and boy is it addictive. im learning daily most of the time by just plain old good advice, and a little google serching. what ive noticed is that most of my frags and corals seem to be doing well, but i have a couple that im a little worried about. ive moved them to a different light location, different current (low) yet they just are refusing to take off like much of my other more established critters. maybe im not ready for the little guys? is there some sort of little guy food that possibly needs to be fed individually to these tiny guys....or what?

ph is 8.3
    ammonia 0
    nitrite 0
    nitrate 10 ppm that i can never seem to get lower but never gets higher

the zo's are at the bottom of the photo in the center
    sooooooo. what gives?

any help out here?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Nice tank great job on the aquascape. How long have they been on the tank? Trust me in time they will grow like weeds with the right conditions. Did you try feeding your corals a little phytoplankton?
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

CR Member
    First Name
    jim

Quote Originally Posted by larryandlaura View Post
    Nice tank great job on the aquascape. How long have they been on the tank? Trust me in time they will grow like weeds with the right conditions. Did you try feeding your corals a little phytoplankton?
    thanks for the compliment...i just need a little forsight on placement so im not uprooting the critters so much....i think that will come in time as i learn to picture in my head how i want my finished reef to look ahead of time. so much to choose from ...sizes shapes care...it aint like a backyard garden thats for sure.

the little guys have been in the tank for 2 weeks now...and they aint lookin good.
    as far as the phytoplankton .....nope...just brought the babies on home without the diaper bag......im guessing.

everything seems ok....through filter feeding.....n probably a little over manually feeding mysis....but these little guys prob need a little help...right?

MyNemesis - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    John
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Fishbowl Drawing #3 MCES 2012 ($25 Reef Paradise Gift Certificate)

Default Zoanthids

As if you weren't already scratching your head about this one, here is a link to a thread with lots of possibilities for you to consider: http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/co...t-expand-8669/
    Welcome to Captive Reefs!

CableGuy - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Adam

They look good to me! Give them time and they will grow.

Oh and another thing to learn...

Nothing happens fast in a reef tank.

Live by that.

CR Member
    First Name
    jim

Quote Originally Posted by MyNemesis View Post
    As if you weren't already scratching your head about this one, here is a link to a thread with lots of possibilities for you to consider: http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/co...t-expand-8669/
    Welcome to Captive Reefs!
    thanks

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Welcome to CaptiveReefs rulost2001!! What a very very sweet tank you have there. Awesome scape and coral collection

I have a question for you. Is that an all-in-one system? Like a biocube or jbj? Reason I'm asking is that I ran an 8g biocube for almost 2 years and in that entire time I was only able to keep one type of zoa alive. I mean only one! All others I tried to put into this tank died within a couple of weeks to a month later. And the one type that did live was always struggling. Anyways I'm asking because I'd like to know if others with the all-in-ones had/have the same experiences.

Any LPS I put into that tank thrived~grew crazy awesome Looks like yours is doing the same...
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

CR Member
    First Name
    jim

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    Welcome to CaptiveReefs rulost2001!! What a very very sweet tank you have there. Awesome scape and coral collection

I have a question for you. Is that an all-in-one system? Like a biocube or jbj? Reason I'm asking is that I ran an 8g biocube for almost 2 years and in that entire time I was only able to keep one type of zoa alive. I mean only one! All others I tried to put into this tank died within a couple of weeks to a month later. And the one type that did live was always struggling. Anyways I'm asking because I'd like to know if others with the all-in-ones had/have the same experiences.

Any LPS I put into that tank thrived~grew crazy awesome Looks like yours is doing the same...
    yup its a 29 nanocube all in one......easier for me....now i know how this stuff works and can think about a 100 gallonin a y. ear or so. but this is just right for me..

everything does well in this tank ...lost a jellyfish....wont buy another, just these 2 zo that are refusing to wake up perky. look like i need some phytoplankton....thats the thing im thinking that there gonna get there food from micro orgs or even bits of mysis but i guess i got to go smaller with phytoplankton

8 gallon cube would be hard ill bet to keep all water chemistry in check all the time.....less volume quicker changes?

thanks for the reply.

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post

yup its a 29 nanocube all in one......easier for me....now i know how this stuff works and can think about a 100 gallonin a y. ear or so. but this is just right for me..

everything does well in this tank ...lost a jellyfish....wont buy another, just these 2 zo that are refusing to wake up perky. look like i need some phytoplankton....thats the thing im thinking that there gonna get there food from micro orgs or even bits of mysis but i guess i got to go smaller with phytoplankton

8 gallon cube would be hard ill bet to keep all water chemistry in check all the time.....less volume quicker changes?

thanks for the reply.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Looking forward to getting the specs on your tank. When you get a chance post it in the member's reef forum.