[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

RC 75 DIY Stand and Sump

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... Last
    CR Member
    First Name
    Ray

Default RC 75 DIY Stand and Sump

This is a journal of a 75 gallon build, highlighting a DIY stand and sump. I have had two all-in-one tanks. This is my first system with a stand alone sump.

IMG 0471 zpse4e87a4a - RC 75 DIY Stand and Sump
    Some of the equipment gathered over the past several months

The Gear

Aquarium 75G Standard 48x18x22 Starfire Glass
    DIY Stand Birch Plywood
    Lighting Ecotech Radion Pro Gen 3
    Ecotech RMS Tank Mounts
    DIY Sump 20G High
    DIY Sock Silencers
    Skimmer Skimz Monzter
    Reactor Avast Marine Vibe
    Return Pump Eheim 2400
    Circulation Ecotech Vortech
    Backup Power Ecotech Battery
    Controller Neptune Apex Lite
    Ecotech ReefLink
    Dosing Pump GHL Profilux
    Dosing Containers BOA
    Last edited by choir; 02-27-2015 at 09:50 PM.

CR Member
    First Name
    Ray

It took a while to accumulate the equipment, since most of the gear pictured above is used or refurbished, including my tank and sump. The tank is not to glamorous, but it has potential!

IMG 0077 zpshuyqegrb - RC 75 DIY Stand and Sump

Aquarium 75G Standard 48x18x22.
    Last edited by jimsflies; 03-12-2015 at 08:25 AM.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

That's an impressive pile of equipment! Should be a great build.

CR Member
    First Name
    Ray

Starting with the DIY Stand

My previous tank was a black European modern style cabinet. It was nice enough, I decided to go with that style again. The location with stairs and doorway limited the tank size. Because the narrow footprint, I decided to go with plywood construction, in lieu of 2x4 framing to maximize the cabinet space. Lastly, I wanted a taller tank display to avoid leaning down to view.

[IMG]IMG 0210 zpsc460ed2c - RC 75 DIY Stand and Sump[/IMG]
    Plywood panels cuts.

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Looks like a great set up in the making. I recommend going with a larger sump if you can.

Please keep us posted.

Tom

CR Member
    First Name
    Ray

I used two sheets of 3/4" birch plywood for the stand. There was very little wood scrap leftover after making all the cuts.

For the joints, I used a Kreg pocket hole jig.

IMG 0208 zps45d59c87 - RC 75 DIY Stand and Sump
    This was my first time using pocket holes. All the joints were screwed and glued.

For the back panel, I cut out large oval openings for cords and ventilation. In the past, I have experienced frustration because openings were to small from so many cords. I made the openings wide enough to pass equipment and transformers.

IMG 0209 zpse9e7f5c5 - RC 75 DIY Stand and Sump

IMG 0212 zps836797f2 - RC 75 DIY Stand and Sump
    Back panel with cord and equipment slots.
    Last edited by choir; 03-02-2015 at 06:58 PM.

CR Member
    First Name
    Ray

Equipment Tray

Lots of thought to the equipment layout in the stand, especially managing the cords. I wanted the cords to be out of sight, but not so difficult to unplug and remove equipment for maintenance or replacement. In my last tank, I had cords organized bundled neatly with plastic ties, mounted on the side walls or ceiling of the stand. It looked nice until I had to unexpectatly remove one piece of equipment. this ended by cutting every tie to find and remove one cord.

This plan has what I call an equipment tray that sits between the sump and the cabinet ceiling. The idea was inspired from a stand built by nanotopia. I was able to use this space because the stand is slightly taller than most designs. The tray accessible from the front and back. The front has doors to mount controls like the Apex to the front of the doors. The back is lined up with the equipment holes. All wires can sit loosely in the tray. This is easier to see than describe:

IMG 0221 zpsd1e30163 - RC 75 DIY Stand and Sump
    Equipment tray will be accessible from both front and rear.

With a tall stand and plywood construction, I felt it important to provide additional lateral support. Using several pocket holes at each end of the tray, the equipment tray provides that added bracing.

IMG 0219 zpsc625e206 - RC 75 DIY Stand and Sump
    Placed the equipment tray for size and fit.

IMG 0242 zps04741cb4 - RC 75 DIY Stand and Sump
    Front doors of the equipment tray open. I mentioned the tray does not extend all the way to the back panel, leaving room for plumbing. The top holes on back panel match the height of the tray for easy access.

CR Member
    First Name
    Ray

Thanks Tom - I agree and wanted a bigger sump too! I made this actual size layout to determine what would fit. That was all the room there was to fit all the gear.

IMG 0249 zpsc3261eda - RC 75 DIY Stand and Sump

CR Member
    First Name
    Ray

This is very unpopular and not my preference, but a necessity for my situation. There is only one location of the tank. It sits close to a door that may need full access at some point in the future. I wrestled with the ultimate risk of tank failure and water on the floor from cracking, leaking and levelness. After much consideration, I decided being able to move the tank a few inches is better than breaking down the entire tank to move it. If I have to move it, I would half empty the tank water and it would only move a foot or so on level concrete...and if it fails, I will share the drama :] These are low profile wheels, rated over +1200 lbs.

IMG 0214 zpsf8a0b0f8 - RC 75 DIY Stand and Sump
    The bottom of the stand was built with two layers of plywood for added support for the wheels.

IMG 0236 zpseb293cab - RC 75 DIY Stand and Sump
    Finishing the last stand doors with European frameless cabinet hinges.

I was concerned about deflection in the front at the door opening. The front of the top is a wood beam, made out of two layers of plywood, glued and screwed together. This is supported by a center post, that rests on a double layer bottom (also glued and screwed together)

IMG 0240 zps865474f3 - RC 75 DIY Stand and Sump
    This is the final cabinet assembled. 3/4" plywood was the only material used, besides the hardware. A toe kick apron will be added in-between the wheels in the from and the sides.

CR Member
    First Name
    Ray

Finishing the Stand

It was a struggle how to finish the stand. Going with no canopy, the black tank trim really sticks out. I thought black would be the best color to blend the trim into the "big picture" and keep from standing out. The finish had to be easy with no shading between coats. To avoid sanding between coats and get a nice level finish, I used a metal paint with an oil base primer.

IMG 0322 zpsfcf0ba68 - RC 75 DIY Stand and Sump
    The stock black paint color ended up matching the black trim on the tank.

IMG 0415 zpsc0f5e060 - RC 75 DIY Stand and Sump
    The back of the stand finish painted. I made large openings for ventilation and to make pulling cords and gear easy.

IMG 0409 zps253831ca - RC 75 DIY Stand and Sump
    The equipment tray.

IMG 0408 zpse8bb120e - RC 75 DIY Stand and Sump
    I ended up going with a light gray interior, which actually turned out okay.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... Last