[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Broke down tank, but can't stop coughing

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    Tom Toro - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tom

Default Broke down tank, but can't stop coughing

Broke down the 240 and removed the corals without gloves until I got nailed by a huge bristleworm. My hand didn't swell up so I figure I'm not allergic.

After about a half hour, my son and I both couldn't stop coughing. Is it possible we are having a reaction to something in the tank? Anybody ever heard of this kind of reaction after touching corals?

Here's what we were touching:

Thousands of Palys
    Hundreds of zoas
    About 15 RBTA's
    Toadstools and other softies
    240g Great Lakes Glass! ETSS1400/panworld250,LED 120wX4 AJM, LED,2x sunbrite ,Tunzex4/,200gal sump/mixed reef/Biopellets. Hammerhead return. UV 57w. Chiller.

135g down and given to a buddy. New pic after the wall is repaired.

thefishgirl - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Becky

I'd be nervous about handling that quantity of palys and zoas without gloves. I move a few here and there without gloves, but not THAT many at one time. I'm assuming they were taken out of the water.... is there a chance that they released something in the air? I've seen them expel something when removed... so maybe you inhaled something?

I would monitor, and if it takes any turn for the worse or continues much longer, I would head to the ER. I'd rather see someone show up at the ER and be OK, rather than not, and have huge regrets for not acting sooner. Plenty of time to feel silly later if it was nothing at all.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Try taking some Benadryl asap.
    Likes Tom Toro liked this post

dputt88 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Doug
    Awards Tank of the Month - January 2013 Tank of the Month Post and Reply Award - Finding Nemo PAR contest Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Summer Swap Fishbowl Winner (Red Dragon)

did you move equipment and what not outside or down in a basment. because my suggestion would be it may just be from going from a really humid area (you prolly had your head right above the tank a few times) to an area with very low humidity (basements garages and outside). like in the winter when you walk in and out of the house a lot you start coughing.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Benadryl is a good idea. Large colony of palley and zoa can release enough toxins that small traces we're able to become air born. Doubtful but could happen. My bet is more from the fecral matter that has been collecting in that tanks sandbed for all those years caused some breathing issues. I hope you both feel better and if it doesn't clear up quickly I would get to the ER Tom. Better safe then sorry!
    Likes Tom Toro liked this post

CR Member

Hi Tom,

You may have been poisoned. Please read this article:

Steamed Palythoas send well-informed aquarist to the emergency room, nearly to the grave

With the amount of Zoos and Palys you were handling, there is a chance that you and your son could have inhaled paly toxin.

If you or your son get any worse, it may be time to go to the hospital.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Toro View Post
    Broke down the 240 and removed the corals without gloves until I got nailed by a huge bristleworm. My hand didn't swell up so I figure I'm not allergic.

After about a half hour, my son and I both couldn't stop coughing. Is it possible we are having a reaction to something in the tank? Anybody ever heard of this kind of reaction after touching corals?

Here's what we were touching:

Thousands of Palys
    Hundreds of zoas
    About 15 RBTA's
    Toadstools and other softies

CR Member
    First Name
    David

***MOST IMPORTANT take son to Dr for blood work and evaluation!!!!****

From personal experience x2 paly toxin exposure:
    when a contact paly toxin contamination occurs a strong metallic taste in the mouth, them progressing into other physical symptoms (temp., anxiety, visual disturbance, swelling and yes resporatory distress (which is difficulty breathing "elephant on chest")

Since, no irration on skin, son not stung, and did not cook the palys causing a steam/gas fumes transporting the toxin. primary complaint is coughing your exposure will be a respiratory contaminant (exper: 43 year chronic asthma treatment, 5 yrs poster child Amer. Lung Assoc. and 2yrs nursing education) since you r breaking down the tank chances are more likely that u and ur son was exposed my an airborne combo of mold, mildew, and salmonella (most of the stuff that looks like dust is not dust!)
    I would thoroughly bleach the house and change/clean any air filters u may have.and most important son to Dr. (I am assumIng ur son is younger)

Hopefully scottcrrt will chime in as well, he is a Resp. Therapist. (the profession that is constantly responsible for keeping me alive... !!!)
    Likes Tom Toro, Sir Patrick liked this post

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Sounds like you guys already got alot of good advice. I too agree it sounds like you got contaminated with something airborne. Sounds like something bacterial that was realeased while moving/breaking down your tank. Hopefully it was from a softie, live rock or sand....and not your palys.

Keep us posted and stay well, both of you!

thefishgirl - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Becky

Hey Tom Toro... how about a health check / update?? You guys doing OK?

Tom Toro - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tom

Thanks for all the excellent replies. I took benadryl immediately and started reflecting back on what we were doing. I remember stabbing my finger with a calcium worm and it bled. I pulled out the shell and continued on with the removal. My son's gloves kept popping cause of the worms too, but I don't think he bled. Today we are both much better. My son is back home and he said the longer he was away from my house the better he felt. I felt like I had the flu today, but went to a party anyway and the same thing. The longer I was away from the house, the better I felt. Feels like a mild cold now, but I'm using a large attic fan and open windows to flush out that room. I don't want to go in there for awhile without my chemical mask. Can't believe the bird and rabbit lived through it. My wife looked it up on the net and described our symptoms for a mild reaction to airborne palytoxin exactly. I had the cough and nausea and my son said he just didn't feel good and was coughing too. A very bad reaction requires an ER visit and I also read there's really nothing they can do but monitor you in case your heart stops. I learned the hard way not to take this lightly. I'll have my mask and thick gloves when I put 'em all back in the new tank.

I really appreciate the concern and great information! Good group of folks.
    240g Great Lakes Glass! ETSS1400/panworld250,LED 120wX4 AJM, LED,2x sunbrite ,Tunzex4/,200gal sump/mixed reef/Biopellets. Hammerhead return. UV 57w. Chiller.

135g down and given to a buddy. New pic after the wall is repaired.
    Likes Sir Patrick liked this post

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last