[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

? on bubble coral and some wormish thing

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

Default ? on bubble coral and some wormish thing

Hi well heres my story recently a really good friend of mine past away(around the new year) and he kept a salt water tank. To make a long story short my bf adopted the tank and has worked well with it since with help from a friendly fish store owner. He and I have read up and things have been good so far. heres where I need help.

1) we found this worm like thing coming out of one of the reef it almost looks like the tip of leg to a brittle star with (it is about an inch and 1/3 of it coming out of the hole) almost a feathery mouth at the tip (very very tiny) it can go in and out but does not go all the way back into the reef. almost creepy. i kno im very bad with discribing things...

2)we also have a white bubble coral and it has been fine up till today okay in the middle of it (its coming out of the mouth im guessing) it is a long tenticle with a ball on the top almost like theres a ball in it trying to float to the top. WHAT IS WRONG WITH IT?

my bf has worked so hard in keeping this together and i really just want to help him. so im desprite. thanks guys, ive read over other threads and everyone on here seems very helpful.

The worm thing is probably a bristle worm usually harmless unless their really big. if he is on a small piece of rock then you should try to take him out, but they hide in the rocks, if you want to see them go with a flashlight at night they'll be all over.
    Try to take a pic of the coral so we can see it, maybe its just normal.
    55 Gallon. One year old, and looking SUPER.

^^thanks tomorrow i'll get a pic of the bubble coral so you guys can understand what im talkin about..

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

Sounds like your describing typical feeding tentacles in LPS corals.Trancluscent with a swollen,often white tip.These tentacles can also me modified/lengthened by the coral to use for aggression.

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

i have a bubble coral and David is right. even though mine never extends the tentacles very far (due to lack of aggression) this sounds like a normal feeding behavior of the Bubble Coral. if they are extended more than an inch or so, i would say you might have something picking on it. any fish in this tank ?? as for the "worm like" thing, its probably a bristle worm.

thank you guys for the help its much appreciated.

Here's a shot of my bubble at night.. is this what your's looks like?
    nightbubbles5a - ? on bubble coral and some wormish thing

The other thing is prolly a bristtle worm like the folks before said.. should be ok unless it's a fire worm then you will prolly want to get a trap and get it out!
    hope the pic helps..
    sarah
    Hi my name is sarah, and I've got the Upgrade Bug!
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!!!!