[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Chaeto. Good or bad?

Bookmark and Share
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Chaeto. Good or bad?

I really want to discuss why you do or do not use chaeto. Is it really good for our tanks as a form of nutrient export? Or are we just creating a poo factory in our refugiums? Besides macro algae what else could we use in a refugium for filtration? Besides using reactors?
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

dputt88 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Doug
    Awards Tank of the Month - January 2013 Tank of the Month Post and Reply Award - Finding Nemo PAR contest Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Summer Swap Fishbowl Winner (Red Dragon)

I tried to respond earlier but then class's stated and when I went to continue after class everything I had written was gone so here's my second attempt

First off I find that macro algae in a refugium as a method of nutrient export to be one of the simplest and by f far the most cost effective way to maintain a reef environment. It requires less work than a reactor would and can be very effective if you allow the macro to grow quite large before exporting. The only reason I do not have macro growing in my sump is because my system doesn't have enough nutrients to support them. This is likely due to my reactors, i was take into them earlier when I was less familiar with the hobby.

If I was to ever take my reactors offline, i would for sure grow macros is my sump. I do not find them to be poo factories at all, and if you could expand on why you think they are it would be appreciated. Nothing is more simple that allowing something to uptake excess nutrients and then remove it from the system, especially when that something is grown.

Although I would not use chaeto, i would likely use caulerpa racemosa as it is very edible for herbivores such as tangs and rabbit fish. This way it become nutrient recycling and is a cheap and healthy way for your herbivores to relieve the right diet.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Cheato is bad for my tank.....it wont grow. I am running a pro biotic system.

Before pro-biotics, I used cheato alot, and it helps.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Heres why im asking. Please read all the posts. Very interesting.

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6...al-190856.html

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

First Name
    Doug
    Awards Tank of the Month - January 2013 Tank of the Month Post and Reply Award - Finding Nemo PAR contest Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Summer Swap Fishbowl Winner (Red Dragon)

i respectfully disagree with that guy. i know for a fact that macros will entirely wipe a system free of nitrates and phosphates, hence my system that is completely macros. i struggle to keep nitrates above 3pmm and phosphates are always untracable. i even add fertilizer to that tank...

now, i have never grown chaeto, maybe it isnt that great for nutrient uptake, after all it does have a small biomass. but macros like caulerpa, graciliaria and halymenia, are excellent at nutrient uptake and are all edible for herbivores. and just because you have a refugium doesn't mean you should stop doing water changes, that one grumpy guy kinda made it sound like the only possible way to remove nutrients was to siphon water and thats it there is no other way period, just dont even try, lol.

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 AM ----------

oh and if youre having trouble keeping a macro in a refugium that is on a reef tank, its almost always low iron. they have ferts for that.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I have gotten away from chaeto. For me, it is too finicky to grow. It does great for a while and then seems to die back (which I assume releases nutrients back into the water). I tend to stay away from other macro algae species due to their ability to migrate to the display.

I put some mangroves in my refugium for about a year and so far like the results. I haven't noticed the die off tendencies like chaeto. The roots provide foraging location for pods without trapping detritus the way chaeto can. I believe they also do a good job of exporting nutrients. I haven't tested my nitrates in about a year, however, I have no nuisance algae issue in my display tank.

Mangroves may not be for everyone, since they do require room to grow above the water line. I just dropped them in the first compartment in the back of my open top biocube. I have three plants and they are now I have plants that are about a foot tall. I did not setup a specific light for them...they just receive ambient light from the suspended LEDs that are used to light the display area. I may add a light in the future though as they are now outgrowing the available light...or maybe I will prune them to keep them short.

You can get pods for a $1-2 each and they will ship without water. Many places also stock growing plants fairly inexpensively...I believe those can ship in a moist towel and wouldn't necessarily require overnight shipping either. Check with Saltwater Aquarium Fish | Marine Fish Store | Marine Aquarium Supplies | Reefs2go.com or contact AQUASCAPERS | Morphologic Aquaculture as they should be able to help. The Tropicorium also had full plants when I was there a few weeks ago.

First Name
    Doug

yeah i have a couple mangroves as well. on is my the sump of my 90 gal, and one sticking out of the macro aglae cube. they were outside in a 5 gal bucket all summer, just brought them back in a few days ago, my plant is to install a small grow light under the reef tank.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Is there any special substrate needed for mangroves? I could prob use my new par38 for lighting thus removing the cf's.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

No substrate required. They just float.