[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Checking In, Tank Update, and a Pair of ?s

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    Iconz - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Checking In, Tank Update, and a Pair of ?s

Hey everyone! Sorry that I haven't been around much lately. We've been preparing for another out of state move... This will be my first with the tank. So, I'll have some questions on that, I'm sure.

Update on the tank: I've lost both my Peppermint Shrimp and my Emerald Crab... about a month apart. I can't figure out why. All water parameters seem to be great. I know they are succeptibile (sp?) to SG levels... how much of one is dangerous to them?

I've added a few corals... 3 headed Torch, 3 headed frogspawn, Small frag of Xenia which has already doubled. Metallic Green Ric that has grown a 2nd mouth in less than a month. And, some peach colored zoos.

I've also added a Strawberry Pseudocromis who is also growing like a weed! My clowns also seem to be very, very happy and are growing well.

Here's some pix of the above critters (and my growing green zoa)...

4 28updt009 - Checking In, Tank Update, and a Pair of ?s

4 28updt013 - Checking In, Tank Update, and a Pair of ?s

4 28updt010 - Checking In, Tank Update, and a Pair of ?s

IMG 5447 - Checking In, Tank Update, and a Pair of ?s

IMG 5439 - Checking In, Tank Update, and a Pair of ?s

IMG 5444 - Checking In, Tank Update, and a Pair of ?s

IMG 5456 - Checking In, Tank Update, and a Pair of ?s

IMG 5451 - Checking In, Tank Update, and a Pair of ?s

IMG 5446 - Checking In, Tank Update, and a Pair of ?s

My first question is... what is this?

IMG 5457 - Checking In, Tank Update, and a Pair of ?s

Some sort of algae, i'm sure. But, is it good? Bad? Neutral?

My 2nd question(s) is... When i'm moving my tank in 2 weeks, its going to be for about 4 or 5 hours before i can start setting it back up.

Do i need to run battery-powered air stones for the fish?
    How about for the corals?
    Does the LR need to be moved submerged in water?
    Any other tips?

Thanks again, And hopefully I'll be getting on here more and more again!

JD

greg97527 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

Careful with the purple pseudochromis, they can be very aggressive being from the dotty back family. I learned the hard way with the same fish.

the algae looks like cyano but way to bright. maybe a form of coraline if that part of the sand is rarely moved.

as for the moving of the tank i am adding this to favorite threads as i am moving in a few months and dont know how to do the tank move.
    It's all about the reef. :YEAH:

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

How far is the move??? Are you next to the border or is it like a 12 hour trip??? That will affect the way you will want to move your tank, and some equipment you may not have but will need, i.e. battery powered air pump, styrofoam boxes, ice/heat packs. stuff like that.
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

I moved my 55gal from FL to KY, about a 14 hour drive and did it over 2 days. Had an airpump branched off into each bucket with an airstone.
    Did not use heaters at all and only lost 1 sea urchin. Although, there wasnt much livestock in there when I moved it.

carpenterwrasse - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    George

remember the fish and live stock probably traveled before you got them...and i am willing to guess it was longer than 5 hours...now this is where some will chime in and say they add pure o2 to the bags before shipping....they should make the trip that long without any added help...and someone told me that corals are hardier than we think a guy at the local fish club told a "story" that he actually let a coral dry but mistake and it came back health, just my 2 cent.....
    check this girl out she is a great singer

http://myspace.com/nicolejamesmusic

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

I would say anything less than 8 hours if your livestock are in tubs or large bags they will be fine just make sure they are packed good as not to have a huge temp swing. and as far as your LR I have moved mine in a tub with soaked newspaper covering them and was just fine, makes it a lot easier to move.
    fulltankshot 1 - Checking In, Tank Update, and a Pair of ?s

Alright... Its going to be about a total of about 5 or 6 hours from the time i take everything down until the time everything is put back up. Its about 80 degrees here these days, so its about perfect, i think... maybe a lil warm.

I believe i figured out why my emerald crab died... My primary float switch failed on me. And the ato filled it up to the backup level.. which dropped the SG to 1.22 from the 1.26 it was at...

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

yeah buddy 5-6 hours your fine!!! when I get fish in they are in bags with approx 2 cups of water in the bag and they are in the bags 12-18 hours and they are fine!!!!
    fulltankshot 1 - Checking In, Tank Update, and a Pair of ?s

cool! That's good to hear.

have a good move...be careful out there....

chris

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last