[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Cyno cause idea?

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
    rmalone - Reefkeeper CR Member

Im a big believer in only feeding frozen when you have critters that wont eat pellet or flake. Sure for a treat now and then is one thing but making frozens a regular diet thing just seems to be more trouble than it's worth. Miz you have seen some pics of my tangs and rbta's those critters get pellets and a few flakes (flakes because I like watching the fish chase them), and practically no frozen foods, they are doing well. Pellets are a more nutritionally complete food than any single frozen and easier to handle.

As to the cyano in your fuge, I am starting to think that is where you want a bit of cyano. Your fuge is doing it's designed job, aka keeping that crap out of the display. Keep in mind that we all have some cyano in our tanks, no way around that, its just a matter of keeping it from showing it'self in our displays. Your fuge is doing just that. You could look at that bit of cyano in your fuge as just another type of macro that is there to remove nutrients from your water to protect your display from blooms. Just wipe down the walls of the fuge now and then to get the junk out which is in effect removing nutrients from your tank, similar to harvesting some macro. I'm sure your better surface skimming is nutrient loading your fuge, good! Thats where you want the nutrients, then your fuge can go to work on them. All in all I think your fuge is doing what it's supposed to, protecting the display from nutrient laden water.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by rmalone View Post
    Im a big believer in only feeding frozen when you have critters that wont eat pellet or flake. Sure for a treat now and then is one thing but making frozens a regular diet thing just seems to be more trouble than it's worth. Miz you have seen some pics of my tangs and rbta's those critters get pellets and a few flakes (flakes because I like watching the fish chase them), and practically no frozen foods, they are doing well. Pellets are a more nutritionally complete food than any single frozen and easier to handle.

As to the cyano in your fuge, I am starting to think that is where you want a bit of cyano. Your fuge is doing it's designed job, aka keeping that crap out of the display. Keep in mind that we all have some cyano in our tanks, no way around that, its just a matter of keeping it from showing it'self in our displays. Your fuge is doing just that. You could look at that bit of cyano in your fuge as just another type of macro that is there to remove nutrients from your water to protect your display from blooms. Just wipe down the walls of the fuge now and then to get the junk out which is in effect removing nutrients from your tank, similar to harvesting some macro. I'm sure your better surface skimming is nutrient loading your fuge, good! Thats where you want the nutrients, then your fuge can go to work on them. All in all I think your fuge is doing what it's supposed to, protecting the display from nutrient laden water.
    I'm not sure they make sinking pellets small enough for my fish. I do however spot feed pellets to my LPS.

Never looked at it as the fuge doing what it's supposed to be doing. Always thought where's there's cyno there's an issue. Even if it's in the fuge

Thanks rmalone
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

rmalone - Reefkeeper CR Member

Spectrum makes a micro sized pellet in the thera-a line that any tiny fish could eat. I would say they are about 1mm in diameter, not even, they are about the size of poppy seeds.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2