[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Emergency! Power Outage

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    tcp316 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Vicki

Default Emergency! Power Outage

My daughter in law just called very upset. My son is out of town and she has been without power for 2 hours. The tank temp is down to 74 and she is afraid of losing all the fish and corals. Any ideas on how to get the tank temp up and keep oxygen in the tank. She doesn't have a generator at this time. They just moved. She is in Georgia.

Always learning, loving this hobby.

ReefTech - Reefkeeper Moderator

First Name
    Matt
    Awards Wheel Master Award - Helping with run the Frag & Swag wheel at the Michigan Coral Expo & Swap 2014. Yugo Award - For running the CR booth during MCES

Not sure about keeping the heat up but I know you can add small amounts of peroxide to the tank every 30 to 45 minutes and that will help keep the water oxygenated. Try google you may be able to find out what the exact dosage is recommended. I've done this before and it did help me out. I didn't have power for two days.

First Name
    Vicki

Thanks, I will check on that.
    Right now she is heating water on the stove and will add salt and mix it with tank water and try to warm it up a little that way. I told her to be very careful or she will shock the fish

ReefTech - Reefkeeper Moderator

First Name
    Matt
    Awards Wheel Master Award - Helping with run the Frag & Swag wheel at the Michigan Coral Expo & Swap 2014. Yugo Award - For running the CR booth during MCES

Especially since she's gonna be adding a lot of fresh water that maybe high in phosphates or other nasty stuff. It would probably be better to take a couple gallons of tank water, warm it up to around 80, then add it back to the aquarium and try and see how long it takes for the water temp to drop back down to 74. That seems safer than constantly adding freshly mixed salt water that isn't fully mixed yet.
    Likes MizTanks liked this post

First Name
    Vicki

I told her to take a pitcher and scoop the tank water and hold it about 2 - 2 1/2 feet over the tank and dump it in to break the water surface. I told her to repeat that over and over for about 5 minutes and it should bring up the oxygen. I also told her to stop feeding the fish and keep the lights off so they would use less energy and oxygen. She is doing the pitcher thing now. I will tell her about the temp.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by tcp316 View Post
    Thanks, I will check on that.
    Right now she is heating water on the stove and will add salt and mix it with tank water and try to warm it up a little that way. I told her to be very careful or she will shock the fish
    This sounds like a bad idea to me...maybe a last resort. 74 is not a big deal. If the house is cold, bundle the tank up in a blanket to help keep it warm. If she is going to do anything with that warm water from the stove, try warm water in plastic pop bottles and float it.

Also for aeration, get a battery powered air pump with an air stone. In addition to aerating the water, it will get some movement going in the tank (as well as move water at the water surface for additional aeration). I think Petsmart and other shops like that would carry them. A bait store may is another source...not sure if Walmart would carry these in the sporting goods area or not.

Check this article for more ideas: Backup Your Reef!!!

First Name
    Vicki

Quote Originally Posted by ReefTech View Post
    Especially since she's gonna be adding a lot of fresh water that maybe high in phosphates or other nasty stuff. It would probably be better to take a couple gallons of tank water, warm it up to around 80, then add it back to the aquarium and try and see how long it takes for the water temp to drop back down to 74. That seems safer than constantly adding freshly mixed salt water that isn't fully mixed yet.
    The water is from their RO/DI unit and has saltwater in it. I will suggest to use the tank water although I told her should wait until the temp drops way low. I don't think it will be critical myself but she was panicky. This tank is his baby and he is out of town depending on her to take care of it.She doesn't want him to come home and everything be dead. I don't blame her

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Doing a bunch of stuff in a panic, could be more of a problem than the power outage. Any idea when the power will be restored?

How big and how many fish does she have...and what size tank is it?

First Name
    Vicki

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    Doing a bunch of stuff in a panic, could be more of a problem than the power outage. Any idea when the power will be restored?

How big and how many fish does she have...and what size tank is it?
    I think she has calmed down.. She is holding off on the water and will only use warmed jugs if she has to raise the temp. I told her to wait until it is down closer to 65 to float a jug. She is aerating the water with a pitcher and wrapping the tank with a quilt. She also turned down the lights.

I don't know exactly at this point how many fish there are but they are not really big. There is a yellow tang but it is small. The tank is a 60G cube. with a small acrylic sump in the stand. There are not a whole lot of corals either. They lost a lot in the move. I know the tank is already probably in a bit of trouble from the move. He had to go out of town for an extended trip and the tank wasn't tended to. He didn't listen to me about the aiptasia and it went crazy. His rock was covered with hair algae and cyano and aiptasia when they were moving. I came in for a visit and suggested getting new live rock instead of reusing this horrible rock. I have never seen any in such bad shape. The LFS kept his livestock for a week and I helped him reset his tank up. I told him he would still probably have a cycle so he needed to wait to add his livestock but he only waited 5 days. I know he will have a cycle.
    You know how it is with adult children. Mom doesn't know anything. LOL

Jaime his wife is desperately wanting to keep everything in good shape. We will just see how it works out.

Power has been out almost 3 hours and the power company can't give her an estimated time yet for it to come back on.

There is a yellow tang, a peppermint shrimp and a royal gamma

First Name
    Vicki

Looks like they are looking at 6 AM before power is expected back on.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last