[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Emergency! Power Outage

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
    jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Do the neighbors have power? Why do the lights work?

tcp316 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Vicki

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Yeah I don't get the no power but lights work unless maybe a radion w/ the battery backup... which if thats the case is there a vortech on back up as well... if so no sweat for a while. Also like I said keeping the lights off isn't a big deal (if possible I would just run them like normal), will actually help with oxygenating the water anyways. The couple fish in there aren't going to use that much oxygen that I'd be overly worried about it, especially only until the morning.

Waiting until 6am isn't a big deal. Shipped corals and fish go longer w/o heat/ new oxygen etc.
    Ha Ha. I told her not to run the lights. Not even thinking about the power aspect! She didn't correct me. I am laughing at myself. His are LED's. I can tell I am too tired tonight.

Thanks guys for all your help. I was relieved when they told her it would be 6 AM. Her landline isn't working and her cell has terrible reception so she has had trouble communicating with the power company.

Always learning, loving this hobby.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Emergency! Power Outage

Quote Originally Posted by tcp316 View Post
    Ha Ha. I told her not to run the lights. Not even thinking about the power aspect! She didn't correct me. I am laughing at myself. His are LED's. I can tell I am too tired tonight.

Thanks guys for all your help. I was relieved when they told her it would be 6 AM. Her landline isn't working and her cell has terrible reception so she has had trouble communicating with the power company.
    I needed a good laugh-thanks
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com
    Likes tcp316 liked this post

First Name
    Vicki

Default Re: Emergency! Power Outage

How's your dear sister?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by tcp316 View Post

FWIW- Its debatable as to whether to run the lights or not if that was an option. The lights would continue to drive photosynthesis which would in turn process CO2 into O2. But if it where me and I had to choose between a small pump and light, I would go with powering a small pump. Although I haven't thought about this since LEDs have come into the hobby...historically, the lighting was pretty power hungry and a battery wouldn't last as long. I have read a study on this before, if I can find it I will post a link.

This is another place where a vortech (tunze too) have a nice solution because you can easily (not necessarily cheaply) connect a battery to your pump that will automatically work if power is out. I have a vortech backup on my tank, granted my tank is only 30 gallons but I figure the MP-10 will run in backup mode for about 4 days. Leaving temperature as the biggest concern for me in an extended winter power outage. During the last power outage, I wrapped my tank in a sleeping bag to help.

BTW- Is your daughter a CR member?

jstan - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jason

Default Emergency! Power Outage

I know this is a bit late, but in a pinch I've ran my tank (minus the heater and lights) off my car.
    I bought a small 100watt power inverter plugged it into my cars cigarette lighter and ran all my power heads from it. Just ran an extension cable to the basement, and left my car running in idle.

I guess you could buy one of the 400 or 500watt ones and run a heater off it as well.

It's not a generator, but it works in a pinch. And it's cheaper than a genny.

First Name
    Vicki

Power came on at 9 this morning. Everything made it. Thanks for all the help. Its nerve wracking when they are so far away and I can't jump in and help

First Name
    Vicki

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    FWIW- Its debatable as to whether to run the lights or not if that was an option. The lights would continue to drive photosynthesis which would in turn process CO2 into O2. But if it where me and I had to choose between a small pump and light, I would go with powering a small pump. Although I haven't thought about this since LEDs have come into the hobby...historically, the lighting was pretty power hungry and a battery wouldn't last as long. I have read a study on this before, if I can find it I will post a link.

This is another place where a vortech (tunze too) have a nice solution because you can easily (not necessarily cheaply) connect a battery to your pump that will automatically work if power is out. I have a vortech backup on my tank, granted my tank is only 30 gallons but I figure the MP-10 will run in backup mode for about 4 days. Leaving temperature as the biggest concern for me in an extended winter power outage. During the last power outage, I wrapped my tank in a sleeping bag to help.

BTW- Is your daughter a CR member?
    Thanks Jim. I will keep that in mind. They have Koralia pumps. I am thinking of trying to save to get a vortech myself and eventually get battery backup. All in good time as I can get the money.
    I told them about Captive Reefs and so far they haven't gotten on. They were in the midst of a big move and unfortunately, the house they chose is absolutely gorgeous with a creek view from the back, a walk out mother in law plan and it is up against the woods. Being this rural they have terrible reception with mobile phones and internet. My son just started working for Google and is in the midst of getting a booster for the internet. Hopefully, they will get online and join then.

Thanks
    Vicki

Likes jimsflies liked this post

First Name
    Vicki

Thanks Chris, I appreciate you and Jim giving me feedback. It is really nice to have a site that members jump in to help another reefer in trouble

dlhirst - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Don

Take out pitchers of water and dump them back in. Scoop, dump. Scoop, dump. Alternately, agitation with a slotted spoon or a whisk can add oxygen into the tank, too. Literally blowing bubbles in with a tube will also work.

As for the temperature, I would worry about that less. But, if you are gonna heat water - like on a gas stove - just start with tank water in the pot. All the params will be the same as long as you don't start it aboiling. I wouldn't want to add in water much above 90 degrees. Never know what you might scald!
    Last edited by dlhirst; 02-26-2013 at 02:55 PM.

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last