[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

The Ethics of Reefkeeping Revisited

Bookmark and Share
    w7afm - Reefkeeper CR Member

Thumbs up The Ethics of Reefkeeping Revisited

I just recently read a very interesting article about corals and frags. A new law in going to be going into law very soon. The only way we will be able to get corals or LR or LS is for a farm. No longer will we be getting anything wild from the ocean. The article didn't say when the law will be going into effect but I can see it coming. I would like for everyone in CR to read the article and maybe we in CR and do some of the ideas that they are talking about to help out ourselves and our hobby. I have posted the link to the article below, please read it for if we don't start to do something about our hobby now we may not have an hobby in the next years to come, the only thing we will have will be the memories.

Bob

http://www.reefs.org/library/editori...mber_2000.html
    Snipers......Reach out and touch the ones they want to........[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

carpenterwrasse - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    George

good article I am all for the aspect of fragging but like everything else in life we need people willing to teach us the proper ways. its the less educated people that think oh i'll just drop this in my tnk and walla i have a reef...that hurt us in the long run.
    check this girl out she is a great singer

http://myspace.com/nicolejamesmusic

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

I thenk their is a good base to sustain the hobby out their as is' with limited
    wild corals coming in. And i don't thenk all the wild coral will stop just from
    selected reefs.
    I had rather have coral from the hobbits or farm anyway as Thea live and grow better in our tanks with out hurting the wild reefs
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7

A few years ago I read a GARF artical asking hobbists to send them frags of green tree leathers. They would send you back a frag of acro in exchange. "Why?" you ask.. Well they wanted to find enough green tree leather to attempt a repopulation of the reefs in Palau desimated by bleaching. Unfortunatly my Green leather wasn't big enough to frag (it was the size they wanted!) though if it had been I would have been 1st in line!
    I'm all for farmed corals and only buy what I know to be farmed. These days you can find farmed corals ect everywhere so there isn't a need to collect wild for trade. I would much rather have a frag from my freinds than wild anyday. And if we can improve our husbandry practices we can save what's left in the wild from poaching and maybe some day, hopefuly in the far far future, they will come to us to rebuld what was lost.
    Hi my name is sarah, and I've got the Upgrade Bug!
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!!!!

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

SWEET!!! I always liked GARF but that just takes the cake. I wish that all companies would do something that awesome.
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

hummer - Reefkeeper CR Member

live rock can only come from the wild.. how would you farm raise that.......
    :: hummer :nemo

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

I have been to Leroys facility (GARF) its about 100 miles away from me. he a brilliant man!!!!!
    fulltankshot 1 - The Ethics of Reefkeeping Revisited

greg97527 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

hummer. you can make ur own rock and seed it with some actual live rock and repeat the process endlessly and you have man made live rock. www.garf.org has the recipe to get you started if you think ur ready
    It's all about the reef. :YEAH:

hummer - Reefkeeper CR Member

hay greg97527 thanks for the link there is alot of info there thanks again
    :: hummer :nemo