[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Hoping I didn't make more of a problem...

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    Randy-L - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Hoping I didn't make more of a problem...

hi,
    I am hoping I didn't make more of a problem than I am tring to fix.
    Over the last few week I have been having a bit of an algae problem and have been detecting somewhat of a smell from the reef tank. Testing has not been very conclusive: Amonia=0, no2=0, no3=no greater than 5.

I have been atributing this smell to the filter being over come from when I clean the glass of algae, but having read more post about substrate in a reef tank I decided to change the substrate from the crushed coral that I started with to Argnoite.

So last night I removed the crushed coral from half the tank( the open half as there was very little on that side of the tank and the substrate was the deepest) and replaced it with 2" of Argonite. The other half of the tank have only about 1" of the crushed coral. I figure I'll replace that later.

So what do you think?
    If you go through a whole day without learning something new, you wasted it.

You mentioned "filter", what type of filter are you talking about? Most people would agree that if you are doing a reef tank, you should not have any mechanical filtration media (ie, sponges, bio balls, etc). Your live rock, sand, and skimmer should do the filtration, as well as regular water changes. Algea blooms are a stage a tank will go through as it matures, if your tank is still young, then algea is probably normal and will go away on it's own. I do think that sand is a better decision than crushed coral, but to change it out while there is stuff in the tank is going to be tricky at best! But it sounds like you are going about it the correct way. Just keep an eye on your levels, and get rid of that filter sponge. If you need to get solid material out of your tank, use a siphon and do it during a water change. Good luck.
    ...I think my fish just farted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Our little corner of the www.
    My Space on Myspace.com
    My Mountain Bike Team

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

good advise Tyler, its is definatly going to be tricky to do the change while the tank is loaded. and as you know Tyler, its gonna make a pretty good sand storm when you drop in the new sand, no matter how you place it in there. my advise would be ...
    The same as what Tyler said ... lol

Really,No machanical filtration? That is a new concept to me. Is there something published that I can read?

Thanks

dsfdbutterfly - Reefkeeper Registered User

There is one way of placing sand in the tank without a major dust storm. I wouldn't do this though unless u absolutely think it is the sand or u no longer like the sand u have chosen. After the removal of the old sand u can use a pvc pipe and place it at the bottom of the tank. U can then begin pouring sand into the end of the pipe sticking out of the water. Fill until u reach the desired depth. This won't stop all dust but as u can possibly imagine it will cut it dramatically. I think it was Tracy that suggested it on another post a while back actually. Anyway, the source sounds like something other than substrate though. If it is a new tank ur substrate shouldn't be putting off an odor unless it is "live" and experiencing a die off. I would check other sources as the problem. Also, I wouldn't mix the two u may end up trapping bacteria that u don't want and the main reason why people don't like to use crushed coral in the first place. Since u are replacing do it all if u can.
    When you make a mistake look for the lesson to be learned and try not to repeat it.

RWalston - Reefkeeper CR Member

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner , Aquarium Corals by Eric Borneman, Algae: A Problem Solver Guide by Julian Sprung, the list goes on. Also try reading the online magazines that are out there.

I am sure someone no here can offer up a nice link for you as to explain more indepth the ups and downs of filter sponges. What you will find though if you run this like an experiment, is that with a sponge filter in your system you will have a tough time getting your nitrates down to zero. Sponge filters are often referred to as "nitrate factories". With proper live rock and a good skimmer there should be NO need for any other filter media. It be as simple as that old saying "keep it simple stupid", or you can go scientific and say something like "all there is nature is rock and sand and natural protein skimmer, there are no bio balls or sponges in the ocean".
    But I absolutly believe in research, and learn from experience. So keep an eye on your nitrates and then pull that filter out, you shouldn't see anything negative from removing it, and you nitrates should drop without it.
    I think you would be hard pressed to find an experienced reef keeper who uses mechanical media...we will see what some of the others here have to say.
    ...I think my fish just farted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Our little corner of the www.
    My Space on Myspace.com
    My Mountain Bike Team

RWalston - Reefkeeper CR Member

Also try running some carbon to help reduce the odor comming from the tank

Okay, I must have expressed myself badly. I don't have/use a sponge filter, I am using a canister filter. I do have a skimmer and 2 pwoer heads also.

Yes, I do plan on replacing all the crushed coral.
    No, I do not plan on mixing the two substrates( other than maybe some small stray pieces. Like I said in the original post, I have already the substrate in half the tank. I scooped out what I could, then used a hose the syphon to clean out that half.
    Yes, there was quite a cloud. Quite clear today. I took a baster and used it to blow the live rock and soft corals clean.

When I cleaned the used coral that I removed, so that it would not stink up the place. I had the coral in a 5 gallon pail in the laundry tub and ran water through while mixing the my hands. That produced green frouth and the same type oder that I was smelling from the tank.

Another concern of mine. This is a 55 gallon tank on the upper shelf of an iron stand. Below is a 40 gallon FW tank lit by 130 watt compact light strip. While I would not say that the light gives off a lot of heat, it does get warm. Do you think that this heat will couse a problem with the substrate. I thought of something last night but forgot to test it this morning. I will stick my digital thermonitor probe down into the bottom of the subatrate to measure the temp. I get back to you on the morning temp( when the lite below has been off for 8 or so hours) and in the evening when that lite has been on 12 hours.

oh - And thanks for all the help!!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last