[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I didnt think it was a bomb

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member

Default I didnt think it was a bomb

I added some "Kent Marine" Strontium & Molybdenum as with Liquid Calcium to my tank to supposedly help with the coral life. But its ill effects on a few of my fish have me thinking otherwise. first thing is I am assuming that it killed my sleeper goby and now my naso tang looks extremely sick(dark, not eating, barely moving). My skimmer(Remora) is on OT(dumping clear water out every 15 min sometimes). So I immediately changed out some water and my naso looks a lil better but nowhere near healthy looking. Is this additive bogus? I already miss my sleeper goby's way of filtering gravel. I also have a problem with alot of brown algae still after 6 months.
    My world contains, 72 bow, Magnum350, Remora C, T5(270watts), 50lbs LR, 2" sand bed, flowerpot coral, mushrooms, zoos, finger leather, cleaner shrimp, emerald crab, 2 mexican turbo snails, 6 margarita snails, coral beauty, pink tip anemone, maroon clown, lawnmower blenny, 6line wrasse, nano tang....hopefully, and late sleeper goby(rip)
    Phil

How much did you add? Do you have test kits for everything? Don't ever add anything to a tank unless you've got the test kits for whatever you're adding. You might have had enough trace elements in there before, then you just added more than you need.

Eric
    120G Reef and 40B reef at work, 120G tank dry and dirty in the garage.

CR Member

I do have test kits, but not for what i was adding, I just assumed that it was something that is always needed. But I guess you learn from your mistakes. What would be the best or best for the money testing supplies?
    Phil

It's all personal preference. I've got SeaChem kits and Salifert Kits, some people like the Red Sea kits, and there's others out there too.

In the meantime, stay religious on your water changes the next week or so. Maybe do some small changes every day until things look up

Later!
    Eric
    120G Reef and 40B reef at work, 120G tank dry and dirty in the garage.

CR Member

Do you think that the skimmer pulling out the water real fast is because of this?, and when the skimmer calms down, should it be more stable to start testing?
    Phil

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Most likely your skimmer is reacting to the additives, or possibly the carrier of the additives.

As a general rule, water changes alone will replace the trace elements, they are added during processing/manufacturing.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

There is no scientific data to back up the need to dose strontium in a reef tank.The studies i've read do not support the manufacturers claims that it is a needed element for calcification.Strontium has been found in the skeletons of stoney corals.It is found in the same ratio as the calc/strontium levels in the ocean.Tests were done on corals in tanks with low calcium levels and with typical(420ppm) calcium levels.The corals in the tanks with low calcium levels had a higher strontium content in there skeletons than the corals that grew in tanks with typical calcium levels.The reason that strontium can be used for calcification is that it is very similiar to calcium in its molecular structure.

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

I would do what Perpetual said, test first then dose! I would keep up on your water changes and probably would not hurt to run some carbon in the tank if possible.

Good Luck
    fulltankshot 1 - I didnt think it was a bomb