[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

ID this bug for me?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    dsfdbutterfly - Reefkeeper Registered User

Default ID this bug for me?

Ok, I was surprise to learn that something like a fossil could lurk in my tank but this thing definately moves and I have no idea what the heck it could be. Not seen it go after anything and it don't go no where quick. In fact it's been in the same general area, of about 2 inches for the past two days now. Someone got any ideas. Even the funny ones. Throw them out there cuz I don't know where to go with this thing.

Hope the pictures show him well enough for u. He does move on feet like a slug or a snail. The first pic is a little greener than he actually is. The second pic is a little touched and the third is exactly as the camera took it.

Angie
    When you make a mistake look for the lesson to be learned and try not to repeat it.

I'm going to have to resize other two photos tonight. This will get u started I hope.
    When you make a mistake look for the lesson to be learned and try not to repeat it.

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

Wow....that is real different. I'm no help I'm afraid on that one. I'll be watching your thread to see if anyone comes up with an answer for you. What did you add to your reef last?
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~

looks to be a species of copepod. they do come in various sizes and a several variations :for example the giant copepod but if it has a slug like foot could be a type of slug you might want to check in this site posted below
    http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/index.htm

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

ITS A CHITON, they are pretty cool little buggars
    fulltankshot 1 - ID this bug for me?

Thanks Greg,

After further search I do believe that is what it is. They are to be good for the reef and not to harm anything. He more than likely came with the LR and I just didn't see him before now. They graze on the algea in the tank and help keep things in check from what I can gather. People like them in the tank but they are not something that you can normally purchase. They are just found as hitchhikers. Looks like I found myself another good thing in my rock. Woo Hoo. Guess it balances out all the bad stuff hey.

Angie

First Name
    Greg

Angie, you hit it right on the head, they are hitchhikers and are great an grazing on algae. allways nice to find a beneficial hitchhiker on LR.

First Name
    Greg

aaahhh I forgot to add, they are such good grazers that they will get rid of the calcareous algae that sometimes gets on the glass. they have been known to actually rasp grooves in acrylic tanks. but they are awesome at grazing algae.

Thank goodness the tank isn't acrylic. They must have some powerful scrapers. Thanks for the help with it as looking at the darn thing you would think you wouldn't want to keep it. Now I will watch his progress. My little Chiton. I wonder if he rolls into a ball like they say they do? Now that would be funny to see.

Angie

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Looks like some sort of prehistoric trillobyte (sp?)... really cool!
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last