[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Jojo's 72 Bowfront Project Log

Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
    jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

well I just pulled the rock out of the sand and if I do say so myself it is cooler looking rock than any of the stores around here have. I just hope it's the right kind of cement and doesn't have a bunch of "extra stuff". I'm going to try to call quickcrete today and will post a summary of the conversation.
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

OK I called quikrete and they said that the contractors grade portland cement type 1 does not have any additives so I put the two peices I made in the tank and started a third peice. I will post some pics as soon as I get home from school tonight ( about 9-10 p.m.) they are awesome.

Here they are!!!

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Looking dang good! Mind you FW cure them until the pH drops below 7.8-8 and stays there....

I love the creativity making your own structures agrocrete allows, even if 'most' live rock collected today is farmed... it still gives a good feeling of preserving that much more life in nature.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

I'm really sorry it's taken me so long to reply to this thread...

Joe, I'm really happy for you, and it looks like you're getting a great start on this baby!!!

dsfdbutterfly - Reefkeeper Registered User

Jojo,

Your rock looks great. I love the idea and have some questions. Maybe you can answer them since you are doing this. If you are making your own rock this obviously saves money on purchasing LR. You can then seed your tank with a few pieces of LR. My question is this. How long would you leave your tank set up with just your made rock and few pieces of LR to give it a good go (before adding fish into the system I mean)? Or better yet what percentage would you do made rock and then LR?

Also, since tonga rock is so expensive and really doesn't have a huge benefit of adding lots of pods and stuff how easy was it to mold your rock? Would it be feasable for me to mold more tonga shaped rock to help hold up the rock off the sand and put into the scape and save money that way? Would it hold up to the weight of other rock being placed on it if I made it into these shapes?

Like Dakar said, what a great way to save a little of the ocean and we also save some cash in the long run. Way to go.

Angie
    When you make a mistake look for the lesson to be learned and try not to repeat it.

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Unforunately, the porosity is inversely proportional to the strength of the 'made rock'. Adding a bit more portland will increase the strength and make for a denser rock that will support a fair amount of weight.

It's pretty easily formed into any shape you want, you're limited to your imagination.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

I plan to seed with a small rock from my 10 gal. After that I will use a jumbo shrimp to start the cycle. After the cycle I will add some Garf grunge to the hang on fuge I will be getting and let it sit. once the cycle ends I will add the rest of the rock from my 10 gal to the sump, put my fish and corals in the tank and let it be for about 6 months. after that I will start to build the reef.

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

sounds like you have it all figured out, jojo. keep us posted on your progress !!

Ok it time for another question. I am useing playsand to mold my rocks. It is giveing me some really awesome texture and crevices. does anyone see a problem with this since some of the sand is sticking to the rocks when I pull them?????

Page 3 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last