[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Leave a Penny - Take a Coral

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

Lightbulb Leave a Penny - Take a Coral

Jim's gesture of giving starter corals free to those new to reefing, coupled with the spirited discussion on coral naming and the disproportionate impact on those new to the hobby got me thinking... How about an adaptation on the "Leave a Penny, Need a penny, Take a Penny" concept.

We all have items that grown very well (or for whatever reason) have become of lesser value/interest in our tanks that others (especially those new to reefing) might love to have. It would be relatively simple to have a tank at the swap where people brought "donations", and if interested - could in exchange take a piece that they might like. Rather like a "Coral Repository".

Everyone could participate in the leave/take concept with those new to reefing (probably have to define that) would be invited to take without leaving. If successful, a permanent tank could be established and maintained by a club or volunteers enabling access year round.

A simple in/out log could be maintained and a list of donors and recipients posted in CR, allowing those receiving to say thanks, recognize the donors and show their successes with there new addition(s). It would also recognize those that contribute (or list the donations as anonymous if so desired.)

The concept could also potentially apply to equipment (donate rather than the hassle of trying to sell.)

Obviously there would be many details to work out as we wouldn't want a tank solely comprised of dozens of pieces of Kenya tree (not that there's anything wrong with keeping Kenya Tree ) but It seems like a great way to welcome those to the hobby at little or no cost and gives all of us an opportunity to give back to the hobby we love so much without any money changing hands. Vendors would also hopefully participate with both livestock and/or equipment.

Thoughts, comments?
    Last edited by CalmSeasQuest; 01-29-2011 at 09:40 AM.

cg5071 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    chris

Sounds like a sweet idea to me. I am way up here in the cold north though I have been waiting for someone who was to open a reef club/site for up here but I dont think that will happen now. I will probably end up starting it myself and hope it grows.

Support the non-profit Reef Stewardship Foundation with the iSearchiGive.com search engine, donate a penny with EVERY search. Find out more information by following this link to the RSF iSearchiGive.com search program.

MUCHO REEF - Reefkeeper CR Member

Great idea, giving and giving back is great. But one small caveat to this I would add. Coral wise, you're gonna get a lot of dull coral donations. As long as what's donated is viable and with color, sure, I think it is a great idea. Logistics and who will retain the livestock until picked up would have to be worked out of course to prevent any possible differences in who gets, owns, keeps and gets first shot. I have items to donate, please advise when and where.

Mucho
    Please stop fragging your frags.......you'll eventually do more damage than good. Just let them grow.

steve&mari - Reefkeeper CR Member

Sounds really cool its gettin it worked out n all but the tank could be at every swap so if they cannt get to one they may to the next. Also if they were to far from where its maintained they can plan for a swap closer to em. Sounds sweet to try I already jumped in on Jims freebie thread to add alil be very glad to add to this. Good luck
    Steve

First Name
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by cg5071 View Post
    Sounds like a sweet idea to me. I am way up here in the cold north though I have been waiting for someone who was to open a reef club/site for up here but I dont think that will happen now. I will probably end up starting it myself and hope it grows.
    Who knows - If the concept was successful, monetary donations from both individuals and vendors might allow for some limited shipping allowing those from anywhere to participate.

How about this as an example - Sellers of the big $$$ named Frags might make small contributions to the fund (once their acquisition costs were recovered) - Rather like a coral version of Carbon Credits (that's for you Mucho ) All voluntary of course, but once again an opportunity for those that care about the hobby to give a little back.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. ...George Bernard Shaw

First Name
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by MUCHO REEF View Post
    Great idea, giving and giving back is great. But one small caveat to this I would add. Coral wise, you're gonna get a lot of dull coral donations. As long as what's donated is viable and with color, sure, I think it is a great idea. Logistics and who will retain the livestock until picked up would have to be worked out of course to prevent any possible differences in who gets, owns, keeps and gets first shot. I have items to donate, please advise when and where.

Mucho
    As with anything new, there will be lots of details to iron out - including the concern about "dull" corals. I happen to be an eternal optimist. Much like the individual that drops a Krugerrand in a Salvation Army kettle each year - I'll bet there are many among us that would step up and consistently donate nicer corals.

MUCHO REEF - Reefkeeper CR Member

Then I'd say 2
    Last edited by MUCHO REEF; 01-28-2011 at 09:47 AM.
    Please stop fragging your frags.......you'll eventually do more damage than good. Just let them grow.

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

i am down, i got some freebies i could throw in!

something we could do at the A2 reef club is instead of (future) charging members we could do the coral thing mentioned and the dues would be every 6 months you got to donate a piece of coral worth $20 to the "pool" tank for new members or to help support propagation etc.... so you would do this 2 times per year and in return 1 time per year you are allowed to take one piece out. pretty much a coral exchange that will always grow because you got to add 2 pieces and only take out 1, it would help build up variety in all of your tanks etc... just an idea.
    Last edited by jolson10450; 01-28-2011 at 09:44 AM.

sinistervato - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Nick
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner Fishbowl Drawing Winner

I think this sounds like a great idea. I know from personal experience when we were first starting out we were given some free stuff to get started. I would be willing to donate some frags. I have a couple of big rocks with some nice zoas growing all over them that i could frag off. Just let me know.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Wonderful idea! Some advice though from a newb. I too was given freebees when I first started, mostly zoas/palys but I was not informed as to how invasive the palys could be. I was given some green implosions almost a year ago. They totally took over one of my largest pieces of LR.
    639cfcc8 e722 98b6 - Leave a Penny - Take a Coral

Not a good thing. They also emit a mild sting so anything near them had to be moved. Short of getting rid of the entire rock, I started culling them back 3-4 months ago. Although I've managed to rid my tank of most of them I'm still finding them popping up all over the tank.
    So please when handing out freebees (again an awesome idea) inform the newb of the general habits of said corals. Like how big and invasive they can become.

Sorry for the rant but if someone would have only told me....
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last