[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

liverock and hitch-hikers....

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Dork-Fish - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default liverock and hitch-hikers....

In the past I have bought liverock and had bristleworms. I just moved and I'm going to be buying more liverock again. How can make sure that I don't get more hitch-hikers when I pick more up? And is there a way to get rid of them on the liverock in my tank right now? I don't really want to get rid of it and start over.

ReefNeck - Reefkeeper Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dork-Fish
    In the past I have bought liverock and had bristleworms. I just moved and I'm going to be buying more liverock again. How can make sure that I don't get more hitch-hikers when I pick more up? And is there a way to get rid of them on the liverock in my tank right now? I don't really want to get rid of it and start over.
    There is no way to ensure not getting hitchhikers on Live Rock.

Anything you could do to the live rock to get rid of hitchhikers would also kill everything that makes the rock live.

Bristle worms are not bad for a reef tank. Most are in fact good and there are some things that will eat them. Arrow Crabs eat them but are not good for a reef. There are a few species of fish that eat bristle worms and are reef safe.

I have a bunch of bristle worms in my tanks. They don't hurt anything. Fire worms on the other hand are nasty little critters.

Most hitch hikers on LR are good except for Gorilla Crabs and Mantis shrimp.

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

just as stated before, bristleworms are not bad, they are great beneficial scavengars. you can allways do a quick freshwater dip of your rock to get off some of the nasties. but its pretty hard to get rid of all the hitch hikers.
    fulltankshot 1 - liverock and hitch-hikers....

Bristle worms are actually good for your tank. They eat exess food and stuff, they also clean out the insides of your live rock. If you have too many pick up a fish that eats them and the numbers will go way down. I have a six-line wrasse in my tank that always has a full belly.

oh ok, I must read the wrong info. about them then. Thanks for the quick reply guys. I apprechiate it.

Some people really don't like them. Plus they can grow to several feet long and eat your fish... It is wise to pick up something that eats them before that happens.

What are some reef safe fish that will eat them?? That would also get along with my clowns?

I have a six line wrasse and he does a great job. I used to have so many bristle worms in my tank coming out when I fed that I never bothered to try and count them. I would have to guess at 40-50 in a 29 gallon tank. Since I put the six line in I rarely see more then 2-3 at a time and mostly I see none. The six line always has a full belly and looks quite happy. Plus six lines are a great fish to watch swim around the tank. They are red with six greenish lines going up their sides. They have a green tail and two green lines on each eye. Mine like to dart in and out of the nooks and crannies on the live rock and will swim sideways and backwards. Very amusing IMO. They secrete a mucas bubble to sleep in at night for protection, I often turn my lights on in the morning and watch him wake up and break out of his little bubble. Very cool and very useful. I have seen several coral tanks where the only fish they kept was a six line and a lawnmower/algae blenny just for maintenance.

Could you post a pic up of the six line and of the blenny?

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

Here is a couple links.

6 Line : http://www.marinedepotlive.com/six-l...--wrasses.html

Lawnmower blennie : http://store.yahoo.com/marinedepotli...--blennys.html

Both are very common and considered easy fish to keep. I really like my Lawnmower.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last