[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Overflow Box Bubbles

Bookmark and Share

Default Overflow Box Bubbles

I just put a cs100 on my tank to take the water to the sump. The water falling into the overflow box creates a ton of bubbles which I am evacuating via a powerhead. The main problem is that the PH is spitting microbubbles all over my tank. Is there any way to control this? And, has anyone used the aqualifter with any success?

Chris

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

hey chris, i have an aqualifter pump, it doesn't do much for the bubbles. i put in another baffle and added some bioballs to the overflow side of my sump and the problem is pretty much gone. i still have a few mirobubbles, but i can handel the few i get now compared to the tons i had before.

we are in the proccess now of seting up a new tank with a large sump and alot of water comming down to to reduce the bubble we use 2 4 in pvc pipes for the downtubes to fill the its gently pored over into the sump. no air bubbles at all mixing about so far.we just siliconed them to the botoom of the tank to stop substrate from being stirred.

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

The Aqualifter pumps work very well, I have several that I use for a lot of things, overflows, auto top offs, quite handy little pumps. Putting one on your overflow to evacuate the air works like a champ, just have it dump into the back side towards your sump to keep the air out of the tank and you'll be a lot happier, the powerhead blowing air drove me nuts, anytime it wasn't then it was clogged and I knew an overflow was just waiting to happen.

One note, the AquaLife pumps do require some periodic cleaning or they begin to get clogged with algae and such (every few motnhs or so)... or you can do it the lazy way and just replace the flapper valves when they give up.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Thanks for the info. I think I will get an Aqualifter pump. The bubbles spitting out of the powerhead are driving me nuts.

Chris

I need to do something with one of my DIY overflows. The u-tube eventually over the course of a month or so gets a big bubble on it and flow goes down. Luckily I've always noticed the water level in the refuge creep up and I've fixed it before any problems have developed, but it would be nice to make it a no-brainer. No-brainers are good.
    120G Reef and 40B reef at work, 120G tank dry and dirty in the garage.