[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

pH trouble.

Bookmark and Share
    cq28 - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default pH trouble.

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've been adding the Calcium buffer and now my pH is up to 8.5-8.6 What should I do? 20 Gal. tank with soft corals andsome fish. (sorry I'm brief I'm running out the door)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Clem#ed _op#/DIV#ed_cl#

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

Well,stop adding the buffer.Next,increaseing aeration by way of an airstone,etc will help stabilize the PH to the proper level.Once it gets back down to 8.2(testing done in the day),start monitoring your alkalinity level.This is one of the most important things you can test for.As you notice the alk level fall,add a balanced(alkalalinity and calcium need to be balanced)supplement that will keep your alk levels between 8-10dKH.By maintaining your alk,your PH should fall right into place.

BTW,what part of FL you from?I'm in Daytona,FL

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#LMAO...Dave...Miami...Miami Dave....are you taking medication for that short term of yours? #ed_op#IMG src="http://www.captivereefing.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/4.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Clem#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

i know,thoo musch parting in my my teen years has really took a toll on my short-term.i'm so used to calling you Clem,i torally forgot what your username was.BTW,how's PH testing today?

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't know how you know this stuff so well.....I put the 2 air pumps and it worked like a charm. My pH is reading 8.4 now! It's going down at a nice rate.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Glad i was able to help.As for knowing all this stuff,I just read alot of articles/books on reefkeeping.Experience helps alot too,books can't teach you that.Gas exchange/aeration is a very important part of a successful reef.