[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

placement of live rock

Bookmark and Share

Default placement of live rock

Hello,
    I am new here, and reef keeping. I have volume 1 and 2 of "The Reef Aquarium" which I have
    been reading. It mentions about the importance of keeping the rock of the bottom of the tank,
    via egg crates or acrylic posts.I was just wondering about how everyone here goes about this
    aspect of the setup?

CHEERS!

rfgonzo - Reefkeeper CR Member

It's all depends on who you ask, some people will put rock directly on the bottom, other people will lay egg crate on the bottom, and others will put down small sections of acrylic where the bottom rocks will be supported. In all honesty it's a personal preference some people like the egg crate encase they drop a rock and others despise it because it can collect detritus. I'd actually done it all 3 way and each one has worked for me.
    Likes yellowshark liked this post

Thank you for the reply. I get the idea. I have heard of placing spray bars down at the bottom
    of the tank, so the main return sprays and creates flow beneath the rocks. Things are starting
    to make sense.

What size tank are you planning on building?

For my last setup I took a milk crate and cut it in half and built my rock work on top and in front of it. Allowed lots of "caves" for fish and took a lot less rock to create my aqua scape.

yes just a 25 gallon tank I'm getting one from advanced acrylics.yeah and I've got some ideas about how I'm going get it
    off the floor of the tank. I'm going to drill the rock and place place plastic pegs, probably three to four per rock. Making sure
    they are very stable. Then placing the return down at the back to have flow under the rock. How does this sound?
    The Best!

I would keep your return at the top so you get surface agitation for better gas exchange. To get flow underneath the rocks that's where powerhead's will work. You'll be fine if you have some rocks touching the bottom you just don't want a bunch of them on the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by rfgonzo View Post
    I would keep your return at the top so you get surface agitation for better gas exchange. To get flow underneath the rocks that's where powerhead's will work. You'll be fine if you have some rocks touching the bottom you just don't want a bunch of them on the bottom.
    Sounds like good advise, will do

robandrosco - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by rfgonzo View Post
    Agreed! I have sand under my rocks and haven't had an issue with it.