[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Plant tank to Reef tank?

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
    Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

The SWC 200 should be 14"x9" and 21" tall. As long as it fits in your sump, you should be very happy with that skimmer! Does it come with a pump?? That skimmer retails around $300 new w/ the pump- Sicce PSK-2500 pump.

Looks like you are off to a great start already. When ya get this tank up and running- you will never look back!

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris

Cyno bacteria....hate to bust your bubble, but-

Cyno is the STD of saltwater!! Yeah- we have it here too....but there are ways to battle it! Looking forward to helping out with your transition! I made the transition about 12 years ago- and have never looked back.

CR Member

Ive herd that the cyano in a reef tank is actualy a good thing....

wow so that skimmer really is good? Im only getting it for 125$ off of craigs list.....Is the skimmer top of the line or at least near the top of the line? Just curious...would it be benificial to have more than one skimmer on a tank? How important wil a calcium reactor be? i already have the co2 tank and regulator and ph controller (though i have no idea how that relates to a clacium reactor i just do). Is the calcium reactor something i must get BEFORE I set up the tank...I also have a UV sterilizer...the only thing is i need to replace the bulb..but I have herd you dont want a UV sterlizer on a reef tank...(to be honest, I havent felt like they have done anything for me....)

cg5071 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    chris

you dont NEED a calcium reactor right away. it may be a good thing to think about for the future and where you would place it in your stand. those would come into play more if you wanted to grow alot of stoney corals. with just a few, you can meet your calcium needs just with waterchanges.

2 skimmers wont be needed.

i leave a little cyano in my tank (or dont worry about it) in the not so visible areas. i dont know that it is good for anything.

most people dont use uv but they can be usefull i guess. but they do kill good stuff along with the bad so if you arent trying to clear your water up you should be ok without.

XSiVE - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Ryan

Very nice planted tank, I like how you had it set up.

As for the Cyano, If you keep your calcium and alkalinity levels in check and have a decent amount of water flow, say, somewhere around 20x tank volume per hour or more then you probably won't have any issues with Cyano in a reef.

Unless you're going into serious stony corals, I would suggest using a 2-part dosing system over the calcium reactor.. it's kind of overkill for someone beginning with reefs and it will definitely add to your costs.

CR Member

whats a 2-part dosing system?

So your suggesting I dont get the calcium reactor, at least I don thave to unless my tank is all set up and running after a while?

cephalotus - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Ryan

The 14ks look good I run 20ks. But the sump is kinda small I would go larger or add a refugium and loose the sterilizer. Buy lots of test kits and decide later if a reactor is needed.I love the old discus tank, discus are probably as hard to keep long term as most marine fish your off to a good start. Good luck we are all here for you.

CR Member

Im selling the sump back to the store.. I bought a custom made. 45 inches long, 14 wide and 16 high. I am getting a swc 200 skimmer from craigs list.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2