[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

RO/DI waste water

Bookmark and Share
    Rabidgoose - Reefkeeper Moderator

Awards Yugo Award Photo of the Month

Default RO/DI waste water

Does anyone use their waste water in the garden? I don't use mine at all at present but I am considering collecting it to water the veggies. My concern is the chlorine/chloramine and salt from the softener and whatever else is in city water. I am just not sure how much these chems/minerals will be intensified. Any thoughts or experiences?

thanks......chuck
    I simply can't trust people that don't like bacon,

streetrodder007 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bill

Most people just let it go down the drain

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

The waste stream or what they term "brine" has been through a sediment filter and some carbon so will not have any large suspended particles or chlorine present. It will be about 20 to 25% higher TDS or dissolved solids than the tap water was to begin with though since it contains the concentrated TDS or waste from that one good gallon that was treated and mixed in to the 4 or so waste or flush gallons which together make up the waste or brine water.
    It probably fine for most landscape and gardens but watch your plumbing codes when it comes to backflow protection and protection of the drinking water system. People often overlook the potential for a backsiphon or backflow and stick a tube down in a barrel or bucket without an air gap.

Thanks DesertRat, I will hook it up to a float valve w/ airspace into a barrel... I will do a couple plants only for some time to make sure their are no ill affects.

chuck

Yeah, that's what I've done with mine forever. Turns out to be quite a bit of water after not so long of time and with the garden growing it seems like the right time to put some to use. Now I will have to haul it upstairs though.....

Quote Originally Posted by streetrodder007 View Post
    Most people just let it go down the drain

CR Member
    First Name
    Kurt

my ro/di is in utility room and sometimes i put waste water in washing machine so to recycle,and keep water bill lower.but using for watering plant is good to as there should be higher nitrates which is good for plants IMO

CR Member
    First Name
    Brian

I use my ro/di waste in my washing machine 99% of the time. But I do water the plants that I have around my house with it also. My plants have never had any problem from using it. (but I don't eat the plants that I am watering it with. So I have no idea if it would have any effect on taste, or not in a garden.)

cg5071 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    chris

I didnt know that the term brine was used like that. I thought that meant actual saltwater, so now it makes more sence.

I also use my waste water in my wash machine. LOL it actually helps me to keep up on laundry since I dont want to waste it.

Support the non-profit Reef Stewardship Foundation with the iSearchiGive.com search engine, donate a penny with EVERY search. Find out more information by following this link to the RSF iSearchiGive.com search program.

rmalone - Reefkeeper CR Member

Washing machine is a great place to use it. It wouldn't hurt plants outside which regularly get leached out by nice clean rainwater. But I would not use it on houseplants a steady diet is going to build up salts to a dangerous level.