[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Trumpet Coral

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member

Default Trumpet Coral

For the past 2 Months my trumpet coral, which has about 30 heads on it, Wont open up. All my levels are good and everything else int he tank is doing ok. I read somewhere about hydroids or somthing and i noticed what kindof looks liek them along the backs of my rocks, and theye are on the skeleton part of the trumpet. Could this be the reason i wish i had a camera to take a picture of it. If anyone can help me please help!

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

I have a few head of trumpet that never really seem to open up either, maybe a few tenactles is all. They are growing and splitting so I am not to worried.

Are these Trumpet Corals the same as Candy Cane corals? Forgive me... I've seen a couple of different corals with the same name.

My Candy Cane coral had I think 7 heads when I bought it. It now has just over 40 heads. It doesn't open up much at all... only occasionally. I used to wonder if it was okay, but it looks great and continues to grow, so I don't worry about it any more. HTH.

Have you checked to see what it is doing about 1 hour after lights out?

Tracy, did I meet you at your club's meeting earlier this month?
    Marc

Visit Melev's Reef

CR Member

im not sure if its the same as a candy cane but i noticed one head was expeling zoantheal out one of its mouth which is weird because its been under the same light for 5 months. Also they come out to eat at night except when i first got it they would come out to eat all day and fill up with water.

Corals may expel excess zooxanthellae from time to time. Unless the coral expels it all and bleaches out considerably, that's nothing to worry about.

If it is extending to feed at night, it is probably doing fine. Try giving it a little food at that time, like cyclop eeze (with the pumps off for 15 minutes) or mini mysis.
    Marc

Visit Melev's Reef

Quote Originally Posted by melev View Post
    Tracy, did I meet you at your club's meeting earlier this month?
    No, I wasn't able to make it to the March meeting, but for some reason I thought you were going to be here in April. I do regret my mistake... I would have loved to say hello and put a face to the name! Hopefully I will be able to do so the next time you're here in Atlanta... you WILL be here for MACNA won't you? (If you end up making another trip before then, let me know)

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
    No, I wasn't able to make it to the March meeting, but for some reason I thought you were going to be here in April. I do regret my mistake... I would have loved to say hello and put a face to the name! Hopefully I will be able to do so the next time you're here in Atlanta... you WILL be here for MACNA won't you? (If you end up making another trip before then, let me know)
    You're kidding, right? I'm the biggest MACNA ***** out there. I'll definitely be there. Don't I look like I'm promoting it here? :D

arc meeting - Trumpet Coral
    Marc

Visit Melev's Reef

Marc I love your site , Keep up the good work!!!

Jeff Morrill.........W.M.A.S. Utah Reefs.com

igot2gats - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jeff

When you say your water params are good, what are the readings your test kits provide?