[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Water flow

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Default Water flow

So I have always had a hard time w/ water flow. I understand that for an sps tank high flow and and wave action is a must and most lps like lower flow. What I'm not getting is how to place my power heads to get the best out of them. Though I have more than enough GPH for the set up I still get build up and dead spots. I am wanting this thread to cover all aspects of this subject, so bring on the info and experience. Also please if you need info from me to help me it's here, just need to know what info out side of flow is needed. Currently this tank has 79x water volume.

Tank is a 40B w/ sump total 50gal. I'm using a Seio 625 power head which is supposedly rated at 2600gph and a Aqueon Circulation pump that's rated at 700gph.

One on each side of the tank, and both are on opposite 3min timers.

As this tank seems to sport to much light for lps corals I am really considering moving those to another set up and making this one sps only.

No I know that thing doesn't run that much and am getting another power head to improve flow. The specs on any website where there still sold says they are rated for 2600gph, but they are hard to find info on as there not that good or popular. I will switch them off the timer and see if that helps at all.

What I want to do for this set up is to plumb my pump into a manifold inside the top part of the tank and fit it w/ teed outlets I can adjust. Has anyone done this?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    There is a M2600 that is rated for 2600 gph, but the 625 is rated for 625gph from everything I have seen. I would just replace all the pumps with much better and more powerful ones. A couple good pumps would do wonders for flow compared to what your using now.

Also not 100% on what your asking about the manifold but if your talking about just adding that to your return pump that will spread the flow out some more possibly.... but it will cut down the actual flow due to head loss. So you would need a larger return pump too more then likely, and would be running more through your sump faster which isn't always better either...
    Thanks for giving me correct info on the pump as that helps a lot. And yes that's exactly what I am wanting to do w/ the manifold, which I would get a bigger return pump for. Seems like there are parts of that idea I have not considered.

Current return pump is a EcoPlus Eco 1056 Submersible Pump

Personally I would scrap the manifold idea and just spend the extra money on even better powerheads. Additional flow through the sump with an increased pump could also impact skimmer performance, and if I remember right your skimmer isn't overly great either.
    Skimmers a no name brand, but it is rated for a 150 and works very well on this set up, but no it's not the best thing on the market ad I wouldn't use it on a system any bigger than this.

Seeing s better power heads will be cheaper than replacing the return, I think I'll just get better powerheads.
    Any recommendations?

Koralias or tunze's at the least if you really want to step it up definitely go vortech for what your wanting to do and if you really want to stop the problem.

Also, continuing to throw money away on bad pumps will only make them more expensive in the long haul.
    Traded for those pumps, no cash. I'll look into the vortech,

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

I agree you should invest in better power heads. One thing that has not been brought up is your aqua scape . How is yours placed in your tank.. Allot of reefers are locked into what I call the cliff scape. They stack it up against the back wall and start wide and taper it as they go vertical. This type of scape allows for allott of coral but restricts flow adversely . It is a good idea to keep it several inches away from the wall to allow water to move between the rock and wall. I personally like an island scape. It does wonders for flow and allows you to keep species apart. But best of all the water flows around them very nicely and keeps particulate matter suspended . Just another thing you might want to consider.
    Likes N/A liked this post

Looked at the vortech, what a beautiful dream, not quite ready to sell one of my offspring to the circus though. The Hydor Koralia Evolution 1050GPH is what I think I'm going to go w/. Think this would provide enough flow, or should I look into a higher GPH?

Quote Originally Posted by binford4000 View Post
    I agree you should invest in better power heads. One thing that has not been brought up is your aqua scape . How is yours placed in your tank.. Allot of reefers are locked into what I call the cliff scape. They stack it up against the back wall and start wide and taper it as they go vertical. This type of scape allows for allott of coral but restricts flow adversely . It is a good idea to keep it several inches away from the wall to allow water to move between the rock and wall. I personally like an island scape. It does wonders for flow and allows you to keep species apart. But best of all the water flows around them very nicely and keeps particulate matter suspended . Just another thing you might want to consider.
    You are dead on on that, as I am guilty of being locked into the cliff scape

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last