[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Worst purchase(s) you've made for your tank(s)

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Default Worst purchase(s) you've made for your tank(s)

I was reading Soonerfan's post about his $200 eight inch light and I thought I'd start a new thread so we can all discuss how boneheaded we are at time:
    What's the worst thing you've bought for your tank that just turned out to be a waster of money, be it livestock or equipment, etc.
    My latest stupid purchase was an 8x54W T5 setup that I bought used off of someone on RC. I basically wanted the fixture for the bulbs and ballasts, but I didn't realize that was ALL I was going to get from it. I was thinking that the reflector and endcaps would be salvagable. Not so much. I did get 8 bulbs of unknown age (he said they were all pretty new) and 4 ballasts, so I guess it's not ALL bad.
    Another thing that I got that's just junk is a Turboflotor 1000 skimmer. I can't for the life of me get it to work, yet others love them.
    I'm sure I've made more stupid equipment purchases that I'll remember later.

As far as livestock goes, I haven't had the best luck either.

I bought $200 worth of corals from someone this past summer and 90% of it is dead. About half of it looked like it died during shipping, and the rest has since died except for a couple frags. About half of the corals (hard or soft) that I buy that gets shipped doesn't make it. I also spent $60 for 7 green ricordea of which I now have 2 and they don't look that good.
    For fish? Too many have passed on to the great reef in the sky to remember. I got a high-fin goby from an online retailer that was DOA. I didn't bother to even try to get dredit for it. I also have lost not one but two female mandarins. One looked like death upon delivery and made it one day, the other was this cute little bugger that lasted about 3 weeks before I never saw it again. Recently I lost a 3" Naso tang that looked fantastic for a couple days and then was dead on the bottom one morning. I actually DID call and get credit for that one. I also lost 3 clowns recently. I bought them online and when they were delivered, they were TINY. I don't think they were even big enough to know how to eat properly and I wasn't set up to feed fish who were so young.
    My dumbest "I should have researched this fish better" purchase was probably a dwarf fuzzy lionfish that my wife fell in love with. It slowly withered away in my tank because there wasn't enough food.

I'm sure more will come to me! This is an expensive hobby.

zoo-a-holic - Reefkeeper CR Member

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I baught a choc. chip star for a reef tank! didnt even think about it!!! not expensive, but still dumb!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
    120 Gallon Reef With Starfire Front, 2 overflows and 30 Gallon Sump. Mag 18 on the Return. Lit by Aqua Light Pro Deluxe. 2 250 Watt HQI Halides and 2 96 Watt PC Actinics all in one. ASM G-2 In-Sump Skimmer. 2.5 years in the making.

shovelhead91701 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Shawn

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have a LONG list! How about every single thing that Petco sold me to "completely set-up a reef tank" With the exception of the 55 gal. tank itself! Man, those guys really take advantage of first-timers, or else the employees are really that uneducated about the products that they sell. Oh, well....water under the bridge but I sure could have spent the same amount of money on the right stuff the first time!#ed_op#IMG src="/richedit/smileys/1.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
    The days are long and the work is difficult but every night I sleep as a man who has achieved his goals.

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

I'm with SH, EVERYTHING we purchased from what is probably the crappiest LFS in the state, the weekend we decided that a SW tank is what I had to have! No research, just fed off the info that was provided to me by the dipstick at the LFS. Already had the tank and stand, but still dropped well over $500 in two trips that weekend. Only to find out a few weeks later that I could have purchased everything for about $150 from an online vendor. I'll admit to it, because we just didn't know any better... $50 for a $15 pH, ammo, nitrite, and nitrate test kit. Hey it said *Saltwater Master Test Kit*, so it had to be good right? We got completely blind-sided and taken for a helluva ride.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

1- mechanical filters
    2- using untreated water [ lost my first 3 fish from that one]
    3- Purchasing coral/fish with out researching
    4- not having a sump / fudge from the start
    5- and on and on and on it gos
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7

Jerry, in what aspect did you decide the 'fudge' was beneficial for your tank? Is that with or without nuts in it?

Sorry, couldn't resist. It's Friday.
    120G Reef and 40B reef at work, 120G tank dry and dirty in the garage.

shovelhead91701 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Shawn

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#lol perpetual..... I also find it hard to resist picking on our friend jerryc...... he probably types like me with three fingers! I LOVE SPELLCHECK! LOL#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
    The days are long and the work is difficult but every night I sleep as a man who has achieved his goals.

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

#ed_op#P#ed_cl#
    Quote Originally Posted by perpetual98
    Jerry, in what aspect did you decide the 'fudge' was beneficial for your tank? Is that with or without nuts in it? #ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Sorry, couldn't resist. It's Friday.
    #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#HA-HA you have to watch out for me#ed_op#IMG src="http://www.captivereefing.com/richedit/smileys/Shocked/1.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Reilly that comes from a Bord i used to hang out on kind of a fun word for Refugium#ed_op#IMG src="http://www.captivereefing.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/10.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#2 fingers no just one#ed_op#IMG src="http://www.captivereefing.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/12.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Meant in the kindest possible way, it's always been a blast trying to decipher some of your posts Jerry. 9 times out of 10 it's just plain halarious, I think a lot faster than I type and when I go back and read some of my posts and see there are entire sentences made up of only nouns or huge pieces of the thought completely missing to the point even I have no idea what I meant.... it's great fun. Maybe I need to write a context/grammer checker for the board.... naw too much work and it would take the fun out of things.

So on with the poorly thought out purchases!
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

CR Member

Ok, first let me say that these things still bother me.
    Not because of the money, but because I killed stuff. This was
    in like 1987 before the internet and free information and like so many
    new hobbiest, I trusted the LFS

Bought a 20L saltwater setup from my LFS. Basically tank, generic hood,
    salt, net, and hangon filter. Didn't bother to buy liverock
    (didn't even know it existed), instead I spent about $200 on that dead
    expensive ornamental coral.

3 days later, bought a panther grouper (polkadotted grouper) that was about 4 inches long

a week after that, bought some kinda anenome (probably bubbletip) from the
    same LFS. The only lighting I had was the one flourscent bulb

About a week later bought a yellow tang, not knowing anything about it's
    special diet.. oh yeah, the tank came with flake food.

The anenome lasted about a week, then of course killed off the two fish.

I still have thoughts of arsen when it comes to that LFS. luckily it went out of business awhile ago.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last