[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Results: How do you control PH

Voters
5. Register or Login to Vote
  • 2 Part alk and Calcium

2 40.00%
  • Calcium Reactor and kalk

0 0%
  • Kalk Stir or kalk in top off

0 0%
  • multiple additives inc alk, PH booster, balance, ect

2 40.00%
  • Outside air line

1 20.00%
  • none of the above (list what you do if different from poll)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Adding Oxygen tank to improve PH?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    CR Member
    First Name
    Mark

Default Adding Oxygen tank to improve PH?

Adding medical oxygen tank feed to skimmer for PH Stability - will this work??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am in the process of adding a Calcium reactor, but my main concern is my low PH.
    average is currently only 7.9 which can dip down to 7.71 overnight. I boost it back up with Kalk and soda ash. My question is this : Will the Calcium reactor drive down the pH even further?? Or make it more stable?
    I had been using BRS 2 part, with poor results.
    I started making my own soda ash, and have found that you need to bake for 2 hrs at 400 to drive out most of the c02. (had bad results after baking at 300F for one hour, pH rose more sowly and dropped quicker)
    I've also been using Kalk to push out the C02 which has been driving my pH down. (mix refil water to .035 then add lots of Kalk water to bring up the PH) Soda ash alone will not keep the pH up for very long, causing my alk to run high up to 16 DK max. is what I allow.
    Another problem is my salt mix which I recently switched. Instant ocean with my RO water comes in at avg 7.80 (too much cheap baking soda - sodium Bicarbonate in mix) their reef crystals seems a bit better, but have not used enough to say the pH is much better in the mixed water.
    I recently added more plant material to a fuge, which seem to die off inmy tank maybe due to low phosphates. Does little anyway, even with a bubbler below the algae.
    I have a heavily SPS dominated 120 gal in a basement tank, which is why my pH is so low probably. Ii think I would have better growth if I could get the pH to stay around 8.2 but have not been able to do this.

Anyway, here is my theory

I have an idea that if c02 drives pH down, then adding oxygen such as a medical oxygen tank and running a line to my skimmer would add the badly needed oxygen to my tank and cause the pH to raise. I am assuming that adding oxygen would drive out the pH similar to the way the Kalk does but better. I would add the pure oxygen at a very slow rate to counter the effects of my Calcium reactor. Maybe use a bubble counter and valve setup like on the C02 tanks. Run it with my apex to only come on when the pH is below 8.10

Will this work?
    Has anyone ever tried this before??

I cannot run an outside line BTW

Yes oxygen is flamable, I would add slowly and not really worry about the extra oxygen in my C02 heavy basement.

I have also thought about adding lots of potted plants to increase oxygen in the room, but am doubtful this would do much for my pH in the lg room.
    Also thought about C02 absorbing media in the skimmer airline, but this may not be the cheapest way to go due to the cost of the media.

Please let me know you thoughts...
    Thanks,

Mark

slapshot - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Photo of the Month - May 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Never done it but can't see why it would not work

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

I run a air line to my skimmers. It does not have to go outside. If you have a drafty window it will more then do the job. It really limited my PH swing between light cycles. The calcium reactor should allow you to dial in your Ph tho? You said you doased 2 part with poor results. Which type of calcium doase did you use ? I understand you used soda ash for alk but you should be useing calcium chloride to archive a ph upto 8.4ish if you have hight ph use sodium bicarbonate to bring it down.. I don't really think adding pure oxygen is a must. A good skimmer will reoxygenate the water column well enough. If you use vinyl tube and draw fresher air then what's around your skimmer it will help allot. Good luck.

slapshot - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Photo of the Month - May 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by binford4000 View Post
    I run a air line to my skimmers. It does not have to go outside. If you have a drafty window it will more then do the job. It really limited my PH swing between light cycles. The calcium reactor should allow you to dial in your Ph tho? You said you doased 2 part with poor results. Which type of calcium doase did you use ? I understand you used soda ash for alk but you should be useing calcium chloride to archive a ph upto 8.4ish if you have hight ph use sodium bicarbonate to bring it down.. I don't really think adding pure oxygen is a must. A good skimmer will reoxygenate the water column well enough. If you use vinyl tube and draw fresher air then what's around your skimmer it will help allot. Good luck.
    Sorry bin but you got something's mixed up that need a little correcting. First calcium chloride is used to keep the calcium level up not the ph. Then sodium bicarbonate will raise your ph not lower it.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

Quote Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
    Sorry bin but you got something's mixed up that need a little correcting. First calcium chloride is used to keep the calcium level up not the ph. Then sodium bicarbonate will raise your ph not lower it.
    I did get that backwards. Oops ! Sorry.. I did mean what your saying tho. Rofl
    I should have proof read that one! So what your saying and What I was trying to say is with calcium chloride and soda ash doaseing you should be seeing a 8.4 ish ph. If it doesn't go higher use sodium bicarbonate to Raise it.Thanks for the correction shot ! This I pad is driving me nuts!

CR Member
    First Name
    Mark

Default Soda ash

I was thinking that sodium Bi carbonate baking soda will lower PH. If you bake it at 400 degrees for 2 hours, then you drive off the C02. At this point it becomes Sodium Carbonate, or soda ash which raises the PH.

Is this correct?

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

How do your corals look? Is there a reason, other than trying to chase the perfect pH for doing anything? You can drive yourself mad trying to have a perfect day and night pH...not to mention risk other bad things happening to your reef. If the corals look good, I would leave well enough alone.

I am not sure that increasing dissolved O2 levels will result in lower dissolved CO2 (carbonic acid) levels. In the aeration process, its not the oxygen that's doing the work in removing carbon dioxide. This has more to do with the physical air/water interface and oxygen/carbon dioxide reaching an equilibrium with their own levels in the air/water (via diffusion). While it rarely occurs, I think it may be possible to have high oxygen and high carbonic acid levels in water.

@turtle if you get a chance, please start a Members Reef thread and tell us more about your reef setup.
    Last edited by jimsflies; 02-28-2013 at 07:39 AM.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    I was thinking that sodium Bi carbonate baking soda will lower PH. If you bake it at 400 degrees for 2 hours, then you drive off the C02. At this point it becomes Sodium Carbonate, or soda ash which raises the PH.

Is this correct?
    I have always been under the impression that soda ash is used to raise your alk levels.alk and Ph do relate to each other tho. What is your alk usually at ? Just for giggles tho I was at cherry coral the other weekend and was told they keep their ph in the 7's for LPS . Just food for thought. Jim has a very good point. If it ain't broke is worth fixing ?

dentdominator - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    A

I've had great luck using both kalk and alk! I control the Geo kalk reactor via Apex using the PH probe to monitor the tank. Once the tank goes below 8.30 the kalk kicks on and kicks off at 8.31, by the time the PH probe reads it it's around 8.37. It only comes on at night when the lights turn off. This also works as a secondary ATO.Then I use the BRS 1.1ml to dose alkalinity throughout the day.The 2 skimmers are also drawing air from outside.
    Last edited by dentdominator; 02-28-2013 at 07:56 AM.

redemer123 - Reefkeeper
    Graphic Designer

First Name
    Andrew

Sounds like a lot of work for nothing being wrong. Instead of hooking your tank up to pure O2 like it has emphysema, try pointing some power heads at the surface, that's usually what people do for better gas exchange. Assuming their tank having a pH of 7.9 bothers them that much.
    It takes a long long time to build a coral reef. Step by step the reefs survive on partnerships. And the most important partners are you and I.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last