[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Best way to reduce Nitrates and Phosphates and best light for refugium

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
    CR Member
    First Name
    garron

I have been using an algae turf scrubber for about a year now on my 300gal system, nitrates were sky high when I installed, no problems since it got going. No hair algae, still have to clean glass once every week to two weeks.
    Likes Tom Toro liked this post

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Toro View Post
    Couple of questions:
    What's your favorite way to keep Nitrates in check?

I've started a refugium in one 100g tub. I put in cheato and another unknown macro algae. The cheato and macro have stalled and a red fluff is taking over. I'm using a 6500k bulb. Should I use a lower Kelvin to grow the macros better and faster?

I Don't show any phosphates according to Salifert, but I know how that goes. I have a slight hair algae problem and a large bryopsis problem. I've started with the Tech M, but would rather just reduce phosphates. Do you guys have a specific way to do this that you like?

What foods have the least phosphates?

I have a large skimmer
    I have a pellet reactor going with about 700ml
    Lots of very small fish
    Feed somewhat heavily but have cut down gradually. Keeping Anthias alive.
    Use I/O for water
    nitrates 30ppm
    TDS from r/o is 0 thanks to spectrapure membrane
    Is the problem in the new tank or your sps system? If it's the new tank you just swaped wouldn't be a surprise to me to see the No3 spike due to it still developing it's bacterial base. Just wondering is all ? I have not had much luck with the bio pelet's and feel with a new system consitant water changes and time will do you better IMO

Tom Toro - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tom

I know what you're saying Chuck. I am in a transition with the new sand.

I'm really thinking long term, cause with the present system before I swapped, it wasn't very clean and tended to have some small algae issues. I'm hoping to start this one out right and maybe a little overkill. I'm keeping up with the water changes and am doing 25% every couple of weeks. I would still like to feed my fish a lot and that's been my downfall in the past. I still have a lot of room in the sumps for more equipment, lol.

I ran the biopellets before, but not sure I was running them right. I'm going to follow Don's instructions this time, including the gfo and see how that goes. I also just recently installed an AquaC 180 into another tee off from the Hammerhead and it's already pulling. I have to get a handle on this thing.
    thanks,
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by binford4000 View Post
    Is the problem in the new tank or your sps system? If it's the new tank you just swaped wouldn't be a surprise to me to see the No3 spike due to it still developing it's bacterial base. Just wondering is all ? I have not had much luck with the bio pelet's and feel with a new system consitant water changes and time will do you better IMO
    240g Great Lakes Glass! ETSS1400/panworld250,LED 120wX4 AJM, LED,2x sunbrite ,Tunzex4/,200gal sump/mixed reef/Biopellets. Hammerhead return. UV 57w. Chiller.

135g down and given to a buddy. New pic after the wall is repaired.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Toro View Post
    I know what you're saying Chuck. I am in a transition with the new sand.

I'm really thinking long term, cause with the present system before I swapped, it wasn't very clean and tended to have some small algae issues. I'm hoping to start this one out right and maybe a little overkill. I'm keeping up with the water changes and am doing 25% every couple of weeks. I would still like to feed my fish a lot and that's been my downfall in the past. I still have a lot of room in the sumps for more equipment, lol.

I ran the biopellets before, but not sure I was running them right. I'm going to follow Don's instructions this time, including the gfo and see how that goes. I also just recently installed an AquaC 180 into another tee off from the Hammerhead and it's already pulling. I have to get a handle on this thing.
    thanks,
    Tom
    Sounds like a plan ! I was just wondering not judging. I know Don has had great results with Bio pellets ,great person to get instructed from IMO . Lookin forward to seeing the results !

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2