[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

magnesium drip

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member

Default magnesium drip

I'm confused about using a magnesium drip system. I have been just following the directions on the bottle to dose every 4 days which keeps my levels right around 1300, but it scares me to be letting it drop after so long than bringing it back up. My real problem is before each dose you have to shake the bottle how do i keep the contents stirred when using a drip.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

How much of a drop do you see when hand doaseing every fourth day ? What brand of Mag are you useing ? there are stirers on the market or you could use a nano type power head to keep it stirred up. I use to use kents teck M but with no reral algae issues present in the system I have since switched to BRS's mag and automatically doase to maintain a level of 1600 to 1650. It mixes up clear and their's no sediment to worry about. Food for thought.

CR Member

I use kent I do have alittle algae didn't think that would be the cause tho, but i also have two quite large lettuce nudibranches so is see it as more helpful. It can drop 50 to 100 sometimes i guess it changes due to evap. I do bet using the brs is quite cheaper tho, and just wondering you keep your mag up there i always heard to keep it 3 times your calcium am i wrong there. Also i thought of just putting it in my ATO, but i also plan on switching my two part to kalkwasser and don't know the effects of trying this.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

I am doaseing the BRS 2 part so keeping mag consistent is important. Elevated mag levels will reduce algae and keep the 2 part from binding together allowing it to be more easily consumed by Stoney corals. Most people still run mag from 1300 to 1350 and seldom dose it by hand or automatically unless it is dominated by SPS. When my wife had a strictly softie tank I always maintained it at 1500. In Europe it is not uncommon to read of reefers maintaing 1700 ppm levels due to the balling method that is very popular there. I know of many reefers who also maintain it that high due to the consumption rate of species such as acro's and cap. You are correct the BRS mag is much lighter on the wallet but the tech M is great for nuisance algae such as turf algae. I usually recommend a mag level of 1500 for most mixed tanks. It has been my experience that the corals color up better and display much better extension. Switching to just Kalkwasser instead of 2 part would depend mainly on your live stock from my perspective. If you mainly have soft corals then Kalkwasser is an easy way to maintain Alk and calcium levels but you then need to keep an eye on your Ph. If you are running a calcium reactor then Kalkwasser is all you really need. If your not running one 2 part is an easy way to manage both Alk and Calcium . I know people with beautiful SPS tanks that only use kalkwasser but are constantly fight the Ph in their systems. There really is no wrong way just the way that works best for you and your system honestly. Good luck !
    Likes dknuckles liked this post