[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Salt time, need options and opinions

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
    jstan - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jason

It's funny you mentioned that one, I was just looking at it last night. So is it easy to mix ? the dry/wet thing was throwing me off a little. That and the price for a 200 gallon mix.

CR Member
    First Name
    David

It is not really that bad after couple times. I buy the 200 and break it up into 4 batches of 50 (a little cheaper that way)
    The dry wet thing is that you have to mix in an exact order 1-salt dry 2- mag dry 3- liquid A 4- liquid B.
    I gladly pay the additional cost for the performance it provides

First Name
    Jason

I think I'll buy a small batch of the esv and give it a try. Not my first choice, but it great reviews across the board. Thanks Dknuckles for the input.

CR Member
    First Name
    David

You are welcome, I am always glad to help

BTW
    To save a lot of search time Marine Depot is the cheapest after including the shipping costs. Others places list cheaper salt price then nail u on shipping. (it is heavy)

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

I second David on the ESV. It's a bit pricey, but if you manage the proportions correctly as directed, it works extremely well. I changed nearly 2 years ago and have not looked back since. It's great stuff.

jduck - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jason

With the Premium Aquatics Sale it is 10% off brings it down to 76.49, just spend over 175 for free shipping.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by jstan View Post
    Switched to which one

Neo marine
    Or
    Tropic Marin pro.
    I really like the neo marine. Levels are rock solid and unlike any other salt a fresh mix actually has the same levels advertised on the bucket. Switching salts can be very hard on your corals as Poseidon pointed out.The transition to another brand should take at least six months. Neo marine actually has instructions on the bucket for best results of changeing to their salt. Tropic Marine is also a very good salt but before you decide to make this drastic change I would really think hard of what species you want to keep in the future and is the salt brand available near your home and constantly in stock! Either one would allow you to keep a stable water column for advanced to beginner systems. Like Miz stated R/C is also a good salt and no other brand is used more often but does have alk level issues from time to time but this can be easily correct with doaseing or buffering depending on the alk level you maintain. So price,availability and species demand all need to be considered. In my book neo marine is the best cost effective salt that meets my demands tho. Just my 02 tho.

First Name
    Jason

So I was all set to order the ESV, then you had to go and chime in about the neo marine ( and I've seen your tank). Glad to see your staying in the hobby Binford, I expect to see a wall full of mowhawks soon. If you ever need more let me know.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Lol ! ESV is a good salt but the price and difficult availability not to mention the added measureing and mixing and testing really turned me off to it. I like simple and dependable so it's neo for me. And yeah I'll take more mohawks for the new tank wall!! Good luck and pet connections has a great price on neo marine.50 bucks a bucket fyi and they almost always have atleast one

dputt88 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Doug
    Awards Tank of the Month - January 2013 Tank of the Month Post and Reply Award - Finding Nemo PAR contest Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Summer Swap Fishbowl Winner (Red Dragon)

Ive always used salinity by aquavitro. Never used esv or neo though so i cant say how they compare. I can tell you that IMO the switch from rc to salinity or something comparable is a no brainer. I had endless troubles with rc and after i completed the switch to.salinity i really have began to enjoy the hobby and water changes are a breeze and come with peace of mind now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last