[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

BadFish's DIY LEDs for Idiots (....that's Me)

Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3
    Badfish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by AChambers5 View Post
    Alright let me know if i should start my own thread for this, But i am giving this a shot. Seems like you did your research so i am mocking you on most things...Hope thats alright .

I have a 55 gallon rectangle tank i am just starting. Instead of blowing my money on separate lighting i wanna try and go LED and do it right the first time. i was thinking i'd double what you have due to the length of the my tank compared to the one you did. two different units one for each side? This seem like i am on the right path so far?
    And again if this isn't the right place for these questions let me know i will delete it and make my own thread, but figured since i am following your build your thread was the best spot.
    Well for a 55g your going to want more than double what I did. But again I didn't max out the numbers of LEDs the buckpucks can handle. So you might be able to get by with doubling the amount of Buckpucks, power sources, and such. You will probably want to max out the number of LEDs though, I think its 6 3w leds per buckpuck. I am not 100% on this though, there are many more people way more knowledgeable than me when it comes to LEDs.

First Name
    Pat

Here is an updated Pic of the tank to see how the LEDs are supporting the Coral. I had a problem with getting the lighting power fine tuned and burnt the zoas, but I think I figured it out now and they are starting to come back out (all their color is gone though.) I also add a SPS to see if i could keep one in this tank,

IMG 0921 - BadFish's DIY LEDs for Idiots (....that's Me)

CR Member

Alright i am being held back due to financial obligations, But now i am thinking 30leds total. 12 cool white, 12 royal blue, and 6 royal blue moonlight. EMUreef seems right on the price and i have the leds ordered. I am thinking get a little larger heat-sinks then required just in-case i need to add more.

Ive only been trying to figure it out for about a half hour but do any of you know how people get the measurements of the light in the different areas of the tank? i figured that would be the best way to decide if i need to add more leds.
    Thanks for all the help and advice
    Andy

First Name
    Pat

I think most people use a PAR or Lux meter. Lux & PAR Meters from Aquarium Specialty.

evilc66 - Reefkeeper CR Member

Lux meters are pointless, and rarely waterproof anyway. Lux is a measurement of light with the same response curve that your eye has, which is heavily weighted in green, and pointless when trying to measure an LED that produces very little green, but lots of blue and red. All a Lux meter will do is show you how bright it is to your eye, but show you nothing for growth potential. You need a PAR/Quantum meter for that.

Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3