[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Brine shrimp

Bookmark and Share

Default Brine shrimp

So w/ me being who I am, just obsessed, I have been trying to find better feeding methods for my tanks. Live food being the obvious choice. I have phyto, and rotifers, and brine. My DIY question is this. What do I feed the brine? I am looking for a diy recipe that will give the livestock the brine are being fed too, the proper nutrition. Keeping brine a live isn't that hard, gut loading them seems to have many possibilities.

Detroit Giant Bettas - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Generally you want to feed the brine shrimp as close to when they hatch for maximum nutrition. Essentially, their nutritional value is never higher than it is when they still have their yolk sack. Also their shells are softer when they are newly hatched.

That being said i've only fed brine shrimp to freshwater fish. So how my knowledge of them applies to salt idk.

Brine shrimp are filter feeders, so you could culture inforsia (green water) to feed to them. Put some aquatic plants in water on a windowsill or under some full spectrum lighting and that will create the microscopic inforsias.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Brine shrimp

Selcon! Very high in HUFA and Omega 3
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

IMHO brine shrimp live or frozen gives very little neutrinall value to fish or coral in the saltwater hobby at least. You would see much better results feeding mysis and chopped sea food. I personally make my own frozen food which contains zooplankton,mysis,squid,clam chunks,rotifers,fish eggs,oyster feast ,rods food,nori and coral extacy. I use very little phyto plankton. Just throw it all in a blender and pour it into ice cube trays. Thaw it out and watch everything go nuts ! Just my .02 tho.

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    Selcon! Very high in HUFA and Omega 3
    Defiantly thinking of using selcon

Quote Originally Posted by binford4000 View Post
    IMHO brine shrimp live or frozen gives very little neutrinall value to fish or coral in the saltwater hobby at least. You would see much better results feeding mysis and chopped sea food. I personally make my own frozen food which contains zooplankton,mysis,squid,clam chunks,rotifers,fish eggs,oyster feast ,rods food,nori and coral extacy. I use very little phyto plankton. Just throw it all in a blender and pour it into ice cube trays. Thaw it out and watch everything go nuts ! Just my .02 tho.
    I know the nutritional value sucks for the most part, they are in fact only nutritiousness when they still have the yolk, or I have heard a lot of people gut loading them.

Rotifers and mysis will also be added to the menu.

I also make my own fishy food, though not exactly the same recipe.

CR Member

Enriching newly hatched brine is futile because they don't eat for the first 24 hours. If you want to raise them longer, use brewers yeast or concentrated phytoplankton for growout. Once they're feeding, and prior to feeding them to your tank/fish, enrich with tetraselmis and/or nannochloropsis and/or selco.

Brine shrimp are like pork rinds. They're not very nutritious by themselves, but if you get something nutritious into them they're much better and will actually do some good. Sorry if I offended any pork rind lovers out there.