[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Splendid Garden Eel

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
    MyNemesis - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    John
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Fishbowl Drawing #3 MCES 2012 ($25 Reef Paradise Gift Certificate)

Default Link

Here's a link to King Neptune's salt water acclimation process for his mollies: Saltwater Mollies

dputt88 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Doug
    Awards Tank of the Month - January 2013 Tank of the Month Post and Reply Award - Finding Nemo PAR contest Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Summer Swap Fishbowl Winner (Red Dragon)

ahh, thats pretty recent.

i did some reading last night, and im gonna try and take 7 to 10 days to get them between brackish and saltwater, then im gonna add a brackish plant.

slapshot - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Photo of the Month - May 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Just an FYI, it's not good to feed saltwater animals freshwater animals. Don't feed them brine shrimp, feed them a good saltwater flake food, cyclops etc. You need to stuff them full of vitamins and minerals that saltwater animals need.

First Name
    Doug
    Awards Tank of the Month - January 2013 Tank of the Month Post and Reply Award - Finding Nemo PAR contest Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Summer Swap Fishbowl Winner (Red Dragon)

Yeah I dont see it eating any flakes any time soon. Hard enough to get it to eat frozen foods.

First Name
    Doug

Plus arent cyclops frshwater crustaceans anyways?

slapshot - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Photo of the Month - May 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by dputt88 View Post
    Yeah I dont see it eating any flakes any time soon. Hard enough to get it to eat frozen foods.
    No I mean the guppies, feed the guppies that food. That way he is getting what he needs when he eats the guppies.

Plus arent cyclops frshwater crustaceans anyways?
    Yes they are but, they have a saltwater vitamin and mineral profile.

First Name
    Doug

Ahh, ok. Will do. I thought you telling me to try to feed the eel flakes and my first thoughtwas yeah im notwasting mytime with that, lol.

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

What a super cool guy! I love the plants you have him in, a true little "garden"

First Name
    Doug

So just an update. It stopped eating frozen food some time ago, just seemed to lose interest. It did however begin to show interest in flakes although wasnt too fond of them. I started 3 large cultures of live foods, rotifers, another with 2 types of pods, and the third just has tigger pods. All 3 cultures is doing great, producing a lot of pods. The pipe loves eating all of them too. While establishing these cultures the eel became more interested in flakes, over the past month, well almost. for weeks now it has been going crazy for flakes, funny i never thought id see that happen.

All in all its doing great, every once in awhile it will change spots, prolly once a month. But its still new.

bigbill - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bill
    Awards Grow Out King - 2011 Grow Out Contest Photo of the Month MBI Participant

So just an update. It stopped eating frozen food some time ago, just seemed to lose interest. It did however begin to show interest in flakes although wasnt too fond of them. I started 3 large cultures of live foods, rotifers, another with 2 types of pods, and the third just has tigger pods. All 3 cultures is doing great, producing a lot of pods. The pipe loves eating all of them too. While establishing these cultures the eel became more interested in flakes, over the past month, well almost. for weeks now it has been going crazy for flakes, funny i never thought id see that happen.

All in all its doing great, every once in awhile it will change spots, prolly once a month. But its still new.
    once a month only shows u heaving this for a month did u have it before u posted it up ?
    I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.
    Steve Irwin
    mbisite.org/mbi_sig.aspx?u=bigbill&img=2

Page 2 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last