[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Anyone ever check their pipes?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    slapshot - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Photo of the Month - May 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Default Anyone ever check their pipes?

So I decided to upgrade my main return pump to an DC 12000. In doing so I redid my plumbing. Since my filter is in the basement and my tank is upstairs it was quite a project.

Anyway, so I removed the old pipes which is about 12 years old. Holy &@$? imagine my surprise! Look at the inside of my pipes. I know public aquariums shoot an inflatable stopper through their pipes now I know why.

ahyja5ug - Anyone ever check their pipes?
    Likes Captain liked this post

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

That's rob your pump of performance that's for sure!

Awards Photo of the Month - May 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Here is another

C7C6E6CA 2D26 4C98 8D97 F0863D1E3AA0 1452 000001D9841C2587 zpsc1af647c - Anyone ever check their pipes?

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

That's crazy. Is it calcium build up or just general gunk? Your return pump will thank you once you get that all cleared out.

Tom

It was crazy Tom. I think they are worms as it is all tunnels. I replaced ally plumbing. That was a fun 10 hour project
    Likes Rpalt1 liked this post

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
    It was crazy Tom. I think they are worms as it is all tunnels. I replaced ally plumbing. That was a fun 10 hour project
    I think we need before, during, and after pictures of the plumbing re-do. Please?

Tom

Ha ha, no befores, for sure no during, other than what I showed above but after:

9660205F F59B 4E2D 9071 2B71CEEE3693 592 00000064A4890914 zps982208a9 - Anyone ever check their pipes?

0FA8A5E7 3377 4425 968B C2DEA0ECBE62 592 00000064A2641D0E zps142f6b50 - Anyone ever check their pipes?

697801A0 0C1C 472A 9BDA 191984033973 592 000000649FDE4677 zps28986de5 - Anyone ever check their pipes?

First Name
    Manoj
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner Tank of the Month

Thats amazing gunk. I am sure your return pumps are thanking you.

Does make you think about what items we should put into ideal long term mantenance. We had a client whi had a skimmer body which didnt get cleaned for over a decade in similar condition.

The worst though was a similar buildup to your pictures in some vinyl tubing which upon being squeezed became dislodged and made a real mess of plugging up the chiller...
    Check out our website

preusspetsbanner4 - Anyone ever check their pipes?

Open Monday-Saturday 10-9 and Sunday 11-6
    (517)339-1762
    1127 N. Cedar St
    Lansing, MI 48906

Follow Preuss Pets on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Preuss Pets View Post
    Does make you think about what items we should put into ideal long term mantenance. We had a client whi had a skimmer body which didnt get cleaned for over a decade in similar condition.
    The worst though was a similar buildup to your pictures in some vinyl tubing which upon being squeezed became dislodged and made a real mess of plugging up the chiller...
    Any idea what it is? It is a mass of little tubes, so is it worms of some kind? No doubt it needs to be added to the list. That was why I decided to post it, I had no idea. Either I have to figure out a way to clean the pipes or replace them more regularly. This stuff does not just dislodge that easy so to clean them might involve sealing them, pour acid into them, drain and then rinse. Remember mine run from the basement upstairs. I think I would rather just replace them every 5 years. I did put caps at the end of runs so I could open up and insert something but then the junk with just accumulate and clog up at the corners. If anyone has an idea I'm all ears.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last