[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Anyone ever check their pipes?

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
    jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Was the build up in both the drain and return plumbing?

slapshot - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Photo of the Month - May 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Default Anyone ever check their pipes?

Just the returns.

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

I have a set of those long handle Fluval brushes that I feed through my piping about twice a year when I think about doing it. For the longer runs I feed a piece of heavy fishing line through first then tie it to the brush and run it back and forth until clean.

I discovered the same thing when I got rid of my chiller and replumbed. It was pretty disgusting. Before I sold the chiller I filled a bucket with distilled white vinegar and ran it through the skimmer for several hours then finished off by installing the largest pump I had to really scour the pipes. Worked like a charm.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
    Any idea what it is? It is a mass of little tubes, so is it worms of some kind? No doubt it needs to be added to the list. That was why I decided to post it, I had no idea. Either I have to figure out a way to clean the pipes or replace them more regularly. This stuff does not just dislodge that easy so to clean them might involve sealing them, pour acid into them, drain and then rinse. Remember mine run from the basement upstairs. I think I would rather just replace them every 5 years. I did put caps at the end of runs so I could open up and insert something but then the junk with just accumulate and clog up at the corners. If anyone has an idea I'm all ears.
    Looking at the picture it appears you have a lot of long run horizontal pipes. It is best to avoid long runs like that. It allows material to build up very easily. If their is no way around to avoid running your pipes like that it would be beneficial to instal an inline filter which will help keep you pipes clean. You can get one cheap at Home Depot and all you would need is course sediment filter. Just a thought from an old pipe fitter. The closer to the pump you put it the cleaner the pipes. You can plumb a bypass loop that would allow you to change filter without shutting the pump off also. If you get the parts I would be glad to swing by and help you out! LMK
    Last edited by binford4000; 11-26-2013 at 08:33 PM.

Tom Toro - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tom

Long runs of horizontal pipe? This doesn't bode well for me, Chuck. That's all I have on both tanks. I have a few unions here and there, but not enough.

Quote Originally Posted by binford4000 View Post
    Looking at the picture it appears you have a lot of long run horizontal pipes. It is best to avoid long runs like that. It allows material to build up very easily. If their is no way around to avoid running your pipes like that it would be beneficial to instal an inline filter which will help keep you pipes clean. You can get one cheap at Home Depot and all you would need is course sediment filter. Just a thought from an old pipe fitter. The closer to the pump you put it the cleaner the pipes. You can plumb a bypass loop that would allow you to change filter without shutting the pump off also. If you get the parts I would be glad to swing by and help you out! LMK
    240g Great Lakes Glass! ETSS1400/panworld250,LED 120wX4 AJM, LED,2x sunbrite ,Tunzex4/,200gal sump/mixed reef/Biopellets. Hammerhead return. UV 57w. Chiller.

135g down and given to a buddy. New pic after the wall is repaired.

slapshot - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Photo of the Month - May 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Default Anyone ever check their pipes?

Quote Originally Posted by binford4000 View Post
    Thank you for the offer, but I had very little horizontal pipes before I replumbed. The pictures are from a section that was vertical and 3 feet from the pump. I have a filter on the intake of the pump, always have.

---------- Post added at 12:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    Was the build up in both the drain and return plumbing?
    Just the return, my drain if flex and I typically shake it, maybe that keeps it clean

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2