[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

The benefits of good reflectors...

Bookmark and Share

Default The benefits of good reflectors...

Ok, I've been too lazy to post this, but I figured that I should get around to it. I recently switched from a 26G bowfront tank to a 20 Long tank. I had a Finnex 4x24W T5 setup over the bow and it has two white and two blue bulbs under a flat reflector. Having individual parabolic reflectors on my T5 bulbs downstairs, I know that they would be a lot more efficient with their own reflectors.

I ordered 4 sets of waterproof endcaps/standoffs and 4 of the 24" parabolic reflectors from IceCap. When they arrived, I ripped the Finnex system apart to get the bulbs and ballasts from it. I'll use the fixture for something else down the road I assume, seeing as I never throw anything away.

I got the bulbs mounted in the canopy over the 20L and they're staggered a bit, but not much. In the two pictures, you can see how the reflectors makes a huge difference. It's WAY brighter in person, but the camera may not have picked it up like my eye does

Anyway, on to the pics...

.retro1 - The benefits of good reflectors...

.retro2 - The benefits of good reflectors...

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

Eric, that looks awesome. soo much more light at the outer edges of the tank!!! how do you have the bulbs set up: white,blue,white,blue??? but anyways it is quite a diff. good job
    fulltankshot 1 - The benefits of good reflectors...

I think they go blue - white - blue - white from the front, but I'll have to look. I don't remember. LOL They might actually go blue - white - white - blue...
    120G Reef and 40B reef at work, 120G tank dry and dirty in the garage.

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

Made a big deference. I thank iv seen where its calmed reflectors can make up to 60% deference in light output
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

Eric,what a difference those T5 IceCap reflectors make.I've been useing the Tek T5 reflectors which are individual parabloics just like the IceCap's are.However,IC used a slightly larger width on there SLR's as well as they are longer than the Tek's.IceCap's SLR's
    extend all the way down the bulb to the endcap.The Tek reflectors are shorter,they leave about 1.5" of visible bulb on each side of the endcap.I just installed my 4x54wT5's on my 75gal,I am very impressed with these reflectors.
    t5 - The benefits of good reflectors...