[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Overflow and Return Placement

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Default Overflow and Return Placement

I am about to place my order for a 280 gal (72" x 30" x 30"). The tank will serve as a room divider. Therefore it will be viewable from 3 sides (Front, Back, and one end).

Based on this set-up, I am trying to determine the best location for my overflow(s)? It would be great if all of my plumbing could be placed on that one 30" side wall. I am sure this is possible, but would it be to the detriment of my water flow (GPH) as well as the a desired even draw (circulation) throughout the tank? Otherwise, what about an overflow in to opposite corners at opposite ends of the long tank? I would only lose a relatively small amount of viewing area.

My point basically, if I have a tank viewable by three sides. I'd like to keep those sides as clear as possible.

What about the returns as well? Can I somehow position them within the overflow area or through the bottom of the tank so they may be hidden amongst the LR?

I would GREATLY appreciate any design help which any of you are willing to offer.

Thanks,
    Rudy

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

You could go with a tower overflow in the center of the tank and one at the wall end. I am sure you could plumb in the returns out the sides of the tower. I believe Greg's new 400 gallon tank has center tower overflow.

Quote Originally Posted by Whoyah View Post
    You could go with a tower overflow in the center of the tank and one at the wall end. I am sure you could plumb in the returns out the sides of the tower. I believe Greg's new 400 gallon tank has center tower overflow.
    Very interesting. Can you tell me more or provide more details or a link to where I could otain a schematic drwaing?

Thanks again
    Rudy

Here is a link to Greg's thread:

http://www.captivereefing.com/showthread.php?t=3961

I believe that his tank is also 72" long. Based on the picture, I would guess the tower overflow is roughly 12" but I am not sure on the depth. I am sure Greg (graphixx) will be along shortly if you would like more details on his tank. I will surf around a bit and see if I find anything else to help you.

Here is a sweet tank with dual towers.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...totm/index.php

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

yeah my tank has the center (right in center) overflow and I think it would work great for a room divider. and actually my tank is 360 gallons I was thinking about doing a 3 sided room divider but went with 2 sided.
    fulltankshot 1 - Overflow and Return Placement

Thanks Whoyah and Graphixx. OK, so I am going to try to arrange for either one central overflow or two overflows placed at 1/3 increments of the tank.

What about the returns? I am a bit confused how I arrange the returns to come through the bottom of tank or using the overflow boxes?

I have been a member of another board for many years and just stumbled upon this one and so far have found it to be very helpful with mature posters.
    Rudy

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

I think what they are trying to say is have them come through the bottom in the overflow box and then drill holes and route them ot of the box into the tank. If so I would watch not to put them too low to avoid emptying the tank in a power outage.
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

Quote Originally Posted by jojo22 View Post
    If so I would watch not to put them too low to avoid emptying the tank in a power outage.
    I see. Good point about the power outage, but I envisioned placing some type of one-way check valve in all the returns to avoid the type of disaster you mentioned.
    Rudy

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

Check valves are a good safty measure but please remember they are mechanical devices that can and eventually will fail.
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last