[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Overflow improvement

Bookmark and Share
    dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Default Overflow improvement

Found a new toy and a great use for it. The airpump looking thing is actually a 3.5gph water pump, aptly named the AquaLift, one inlet rated for a max draw height of 30" and an outlet, both fit 3/16" ID tubing. Current draw is only 3 watts! Found it from F&S for $10, it's not listed on the website or in the catalog yet, but are available by catalog part number CD-16904.
    I ordered a pair of them and will convert the second into an auto top-off, no more goofing around trying to find hoses to fit old powerheads

On my overflow I have one of those airline fittings from a Maxijet powerhead epoxied in to draw the air out, I had an airline running to a powerhead to continuously draw any air that would accumilate in there out, but it was a massive pain to keep the line clear, it needed some effort every couple of days, and a loss of some sleep worrying it would fail if I didn't. Not to mention in the display it blew air bubles into the water to drive me nuts. Now the new pump draws keeps all of the air out and dumps it into the back of the overflow (along with water when no air is present).

This really does the trick and I can sleep better now. Just need to trim the intake hose a bit.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Nice. I like it. I diffiniantly need one of those. My overflow U tube has same problem with bubbles collecting inside it. It slowly reduce the output of the overflow, which draw more top-off until, my tank is super full : 0 and the salinity is out of whack. On the list for my next F&S order. thanks for the spot and the good idea.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#