[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Sick of skimmer, should I sell it or try to fix it? Pros, cons...advice please!

Bookmark and Share
    mrs.som - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Sick of skimmer, should I sell it or try to fix it? Pros, cons...advice please!

So the skimmer that came with the second-hand Biocube is an SR3 from CPR Aquatics.
    It has proved to be a nuisance in the short time I've had it. No matter how I try to adjust it, it creates bubbles and either has much too wet foam or barely any foam (won't actually get into the collection cup). I spent several hours yesterday on it, adding water, removing water, adj. the o-ring up and down and nothing seemed to work for more than a few minutes.
    I'm torn now between just selling it on CL or getting some advice and trying to fix it.
    It was driving me nuts and the bubbles were bothering the livestock so I just removed it and put several chunks of my LR in its place.
    So what is the best course? Are there any dangers in not having a skimmer in a 29 gal? Of course, I can do water changes, provided they aren't more often than once a week.

Thanks in advance for your help and patience with this noob

streetrodder007 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bill

Skimmer or no skimmer, keep up on the water changes. I would let the skimmer run slightly on the dry side for a couple weeks and let it break in. A few bubbles going in the tank are not going to hurt the fish, merely just looks. I just seen a saltwater tank at my daughter's dentist that was actually running 2 huge bubblers in the bottom of his tank, and this tank was a custom acrylic 200 gal. Very expensive.

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

I would agree that skimmers in general can be a major PITA, sometimes it is best to just leave them be. Let it run a little on the dry side for a few days. You'll be amazed with how much stuff collects on the inside of the neck.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

mrs.som - Reefkeeper CR Member

Okayyyyyyyyyyyy. I put the skimmer back in I will run it dry for awhile and see what happens. Thanks guys!