[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Skimmer question

Bookmark and Share
    EQCM2B - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Skimmer question

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT class=nf face=Verdana size=2#ed_cl#Tank has been up for about 3 mos now. Everytime I add top off water My skimmer goes crazy and I end up dumping most of the water that I just put in. I do not have a RODI yet. Could this be my problem? Any other time skimmer does fine. Tank parameters are all as usual. Skimmer is a Remora Pro w/ Mag3. I do plan on getting a RODI but santa has not come yet. All I add to the water other than IO is AQUA SAFE to kill the chlorine.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

It is the Aqua Safe causing the skimmer to freak out. You can just unplug the skimmer for a few hours after the water change to let the water mix. Once the you an RO unit you won't need the Aqua Safe so you won't have this problem.

flame - Reefkeeper Registered User

Another issue can be the water level in the return you may need to adjust it up a little
    It is our responsibilities, not ourselves, that we should take seriously.

Could I just let my water sit for a week to let the chlorine dissapate or would there still be to much of a chance to cause harm?

I don't have a return that can be adjusted yet, just a HOB Remora Pro.

Thanks.

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

By adding top-off,your raising the water level in your tank(i'm assuming you have no sump),skimmers are adjusted/tweaked to perform at a certain water level so by changeing the water level as well as the conditioner added,it will cause your skimmer to act up for a while.

Oh, I thought the only adjustment was the cup on top. The instructions didn't say anything about how high or low to set the pump. As a matter of fact it only came with about a 1 inch piece of tubing to connect them together. So could I just set some tap water to the side for about a week to let the chlorine dissipate or would it still pose a threat to the tank?#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

If you set the water aside for a day or two the chlorine will dissipate but what ever else is in the water will still be there, like iron and copper. I am not sure exactly how water conditioner works but I believe some bind with the heavy metals to render them safe for your aquarium. Not sure hopefully someone else will chime in.

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

Ideally,for a HOT skimmer,you want the pumps intake to be as close to the surface of water as possible,this is where mopst of the organics are.In a sumpless system,the tanks water level fluctuates,this causes the skimmer to fluctuate too.